MAX-FOR-LIVE: Installing Ms Pinky's Patches and Externals

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
sec-def

Post by sec-def » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:41 pm

i'm not sure about mac but in windows
you have to copy paste them to folder which is located in
program files->cycling 74->max 5->cycling 74 ( :lol: )
in that folder you have a bunch more folders which 3 of them are named
m4l external , msp externals , max externals.
and if i remember right those 3 are the ones we copy paste into.
paskwall

Post by paskwall » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:44 pm

yea I got all of those; but do I put the contents of the maxi-patch folder into the max5/patches folder?? What do I do with MsPinky_MPTFCS.maxpat?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:38 am

paskwall wrote:yea I got all of those; but do I put the contents of the maxi-patch folder into the max5/patches folder?? What do I do with MsPinky_MPTFCS.maxpat?
Yes, put the maxi-patch folder into the max5/patches folder, and also put MsPinky_MPTCFS.maxpat there. Those are all patches, and you have to put patches in folders where Max can find them. Alternately, put them anywhere you want to and just be sure to add that location to the Max search path. You can add any folder to the Max search path by going to the Options menu --> File Preferences.
paskwall

Post by paskwall » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:28 pm

alright I have everything in the right folders and still can't see the transport controls. I have no idea whats going on.
paskwall

Post by paskwall » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:30 pm

This is what I see

i'm on osx 10.6.8 and using live 8.2.5
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:51 am

Thanks for posting the screen shot. That is very helpful.

No, you clearly haven't put everything in the right place. The picture shows that the Ms Pinky external objects called uidial360, uihmsf, and uiwaveform are still not in a place where Max can find them. In the downloaded folder "MaxMSP_OSX" which you should have gotten, these external objects are in a sub-folder called "max-externals". You need to copy the entire contents of the "max-externals" folder which you downloaded into the corresponding "max-externals" folder which is found inside /Applications/Max5/Cycling '74/.

Likewise also copy the entire contents of the "msp-externals" folder which you downloaded into the corresonding "msp-externals" folder inside /Applications/Max5/Cycling '74/.
paskwall

Post by paskwall » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:54 am

OK I got it working. It turns out I was putting everything in library/max5/cycling'74 and not in applications/max5/cycling'74 :roll: thanks for the quick responses and sorry for being such a newb
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:04 am

No worries, man. Sorry the "installation" process is such a pain.
hobo

Confused

Post by hobo » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:16 am

Hello,

Sorry for the noob question, but I'm a bit confused by the miss pinky website.

It talks about being a member of the fan club ...??

I own 2 MP Vinyls but no software ... I have the mahsta Lee MP revised patch which I cant get to work -

is there some way to join the fan club and just get the M4L code or do I have to buy all of the IWS suite before I can use the patch and the vinyl with M4L?

If so, an I just buy the $60 software or do I need to get the software in a bundle with more vinyl? (Obviously prefer not to have to that!)

Thanks for your help,

hobo
sec-def

Post by sec-def » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:56 pm

I think that "fans" refers to all of us with the software.
if you already have the vinyls I think you can save some bucks
by not buying a bunch of new records and just get the software.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:29 am

To get the software from us we ask that you purchase either the software download ($60.00 USD) or a set of vinyl + software, of which there are several flavours. If you purchased a set of vinyl without software, it really does mean NO SOFTWARE. Software costs a lot to develop in terms of time it takes to create, so we have to charge for it.
hobo

Post by hobo » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:18 pm

OK thanks for clearing that up, I shall save up my fiat currency.
hobo

help hobo! :{

Post by hobo » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:30 pm

Hi Again all.

Right. Bought the software and copied relevant folders and files
to appropriate places.

Comp: Dell Studio XPS Intel Core i7 CPU 940 @2.93GHz 4GB RAM
Ext Soundcard: Herculese DJ console MK2
Denon DP-2000 Quartz direct drive turntable
stanton 500 nib
no mixer (well I use a MIDI controller to mix in Live)

The Denon's red and white RCAs are plugged into the Herc's left and right "Line" inputs.
The Hercules conects to the PC via usb
mixing done in software and pumped via ASIO out the PC's crappy standard issue soundcard (hercules just used for input)
Fairly simple really.

It works perfectly with Deckadance so I know the signal is getting in there, and the tiny indicator bars to the left of the device show the signal.
its only at about 30% but even if I route it through another track and up the gain so that the bars are maxed out, the playback is unaffected by the vinyl position.

It will play the file fine,and while it is doing so the "position" box indicates numbers consistent with the vinyl's movement, i.e., if I stop it they stop augmenting and if I scratch backward they start decreasing.

error box says "-1." doesnt matter what I set the threshold to,
it still seems to ignore the input signal. using gen 4 gen, 4 sellected

As I say, It plays the files fine and all the transport controls work, it just doesnt seem to be able to read the miss pinky signal

maybe I have a dodgee mastah lee patch someone got a link to the latest/definitive/kosher one?

Finally the MAX window says the following:

Object Message
MPTCFS_SA~ doesn't understand "absolute_mode_control"
MPTCFS_SA~ doesn't understand "vinyl_control"
live.object get: no valid object set
none: file not found!

Been waiting sooo long for this ... I know a world of awesomeness is right around the corner!

Please help hobo! (best Ewok face) :{
sec-def

Post by sec-def » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:35 pm

I may be wrong but it would appear that haven't copied the files to their
appropriate place.
if you hadn't mentioned that it works in deckadence I would have guessed
that you have connected the cables backwards. which would result in a similar -1 error. (i think)
hobo

Post by hobo » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:36 pm

would post a screenshot but dont know how to upload it?[/img]