MAX-FOR-LIVE: Installing Ms Pinky's Patches and Externals

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
hobo

Post by hobo » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:37 pm

Hey sec-def. Files are defo in right place!
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:12 am

Hobo,

Actually you probably do have the files installed correctly. The problem is that mastahlee's awesome M4L patch (which I'm assuming is the one you're trying to use) was created using the old commands for the mptcfs_sa~ object. Over a year ago the commands expected by mptcfs_sa~ were changed. Here's another post on this forum which should help you get this straightened out:

http://www.mspinky.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1125

Hope that helps.
hobo

Post by hobo » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:44 am

Thanks for the prompt response DLP. I'll check that out!
hobo

Post by hobo » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:47 pm

Oookay ...

hello again waxfans.

The M4L patch is working for me now - sort of.

so get this: Interestingly it will let me drag and drop files from Lives browser which are NOT in the Max file path ... I mean I never pointed Max to My Music and my Sample Library but can still seemingly load anything in those folders and no, its not pointed toward a parent folder - even went in and deleted my test path so its just pointed to /patches and /examples

Now obviously I'm not complaining about that, but it wont auto-load any clips. in fact, it wont load any clips at all, and If I click on any clip while "auto-load highlighted clip" is selected, not only will it not load the clip, but the previous audio laboriously loaded into the patch through Live's browser is erased.

With "auto-load highlighted clip" de-selected this does not happen but whether its selected or not I cant load clips either by drag and drop or selecting by the menus, but I can drag the original file that the cip (of same name ) is referencing (the clip having been created by dragging and dropping the original file nto session view)

I hope that makes some kind of sense, let me knw if I left something out.

I also get the following in the max window:

Warning: you have multiple files in your search path with the name revert.svg
using this file: C:/Program Files (x86)/Cycling '74/MAX 5.0/patches/Maxi-Patch_AO/support/interfaces/revert.svg
Warning: you have multiple files in your search path with the name clock.svg
using this file: C:/Program Files (x86)/Cycling '74/MAX 5.0/patches/Maxi-Patch_AO/support/interfaces/clock.svg
Warning: you have multiple files in your search path with the name dialog.svg
using this file: C:/Program Files (x86)/Cycling '74/MAX 5.0/patches/Maxi-Patch_AO/support/interfaces/dialog.svg
Warning: you have multiple files in your search path with the name reveal.svg
using this file: C:/Program Files (x86)/Cycling '74/MAX 5.0/patches/Maxi-Patch_AO/support/interfaces/reveal.svg
Warning: you have multiple files in your search path with the name midi_adrewire.mxe
using this file: C:/Program Files (x86)/Cycling '74/MAX 5.0/patches/Maxi-Patch_AO/support/mididrivers/midi_adrewire.mxe
Warning: you have multiple files in your search path with the name midi_dm.mxe
using this file: C:/Program Files (x86)/Cycling '74/MAX 5.0/patches/Maxi-Patch_AO/support/mididrivers/midi_dm.mxe
Warning: you have multiple files in your search path with the name midi_mme.mxe
using this file: C:/Program Files (x86)/Cycling '74/MAX 5.0/patches/Maxi-Patch_AO/support/mididrivers/midi_mme.mxe

...etc... in the max window.

I'm new to Max but have exxtremely extensive knowledge of PD ... even so I havent worked out how to get into the patch to start hacking it. Tried open sesame ..

Comp: Dell Studio XPS Intel Core i7 CPU 940 @2.93GHz 4GB RAM
Ext Soundcard: Herculese DJ console MK2
Denon DP-2000 Quartz direct drive turntable
stanton 500 nib

thanks

hobo
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:26 pm

Max search path MADNESS :roll:

When you open a file by dragging from the ableton file browser, Ableton very kindly provides the full path name of the audio clip file to Ms Pinky's mptcfs_sa~ object. In that case it doesn't rely on the max search path in order to find the actual audio file.

Unfortunately, when you wish to open a clip by dragging an already-loaded clip from the session view (or by selecting it from the pop-up menus in the Ms Pinky M4L patch), Ableton does not provide the full path name of the clip file. Instead, it just gives Ms Pinky the name of the clip as it appears in the session view! Doh!! That means that Ms Pinky then has to search through all folders in the Max search path in order to see if she can find an audio file with a name that could correspond to the name of the clip. So, if you don't have your Max search paths set to include all the folders containing the actual audio files corresponding to each clip in session view, then Ms Pinky won't be able to find the clip file and won't be able to open it. That's just an unfortunate result of Ableton's choice NOT to provide the full path name of the clip when doing drag-n-drop from the session view. Bad choice, IMHO.