Ms. Pinky M4L Patch - Revised!

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
mchenetz

Post by mchenetz » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:16 pm

FYI... I a m just about to create a tutorial on how to use the Ms Pinky solution in M4L. Hopefully it will help some newcomers get started,

Mike
enjoi

Post by enjoi » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:01 am

hey guys -- just wanted to post up this very simple edit of the patch. it is exactly the same as previous version except runs independently from other instances - allowing 2 turntables to scratch different samples (ie. set any number of instances to a different ableton track and trigger the clips independently, per deck)

basically it means you can dj with it now - not just scratch.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/878882/MsPinky_ind.zip
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:49 am

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
hydro

Post by hydro » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:31 am

man im gutted that i this wont work with ableton 6.0.7

this is just what i need...
any work around?
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:50 am

Sorry. Maxforlive is only for 8.1 and next...

Mudo means mute person.

BentoSan

Post by BentoSan » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:26 pm

Thanks alot for this revised patch its so much easier to see what is going on :)

One of my projects at the moment is based around this ms-pinky object so its really nice to be able to cleanly see exactly what is going on.

If all goes to plan i will be posting some of my own modications based off this patch to help get the ball rolling with mspinky integration into Ableton :)

Look forward to working with you all !
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:59 pm

Thanks and welcome Bento!

Mudo means mute person.

dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:57 am

Got some new features for the M4L device some of you may find interesting:

http://www.mspinky.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1000

Hope you'll bang on this new version and give me constructive feedback!
mr.

Post by mr. » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:30 am

Pinkstah and Mastah.. you guys are brilliant. kudos
--- -- -
mr.

Post by mr. » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:18 pm

Hey enjoi... I had to read this post a few times and I saw your update and downloaded it.
Excited to try this.

I did load the most revised mastahlee patch and the dlpinkstah patch and used them both effectively with 1 turntable.

i was able to some how make it work with two turntables (two instances of the plugin) but was getting some garbelled audio on the second interface.

again, i will try your patch and give some feedback... thanks
--- -- -
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:14 am

Hey Mr.

Could you post your complete system specs please? Thanks. I'm sorry to hear you're getting garbled audio with two instances of the patch. That obviously is not supposed to happen.
mr.

Post by mr. » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:16 pm

Hey down low pinkstah,

You're not going to be overjoyed about my audio card... :P
I have had it for 5 years or so...

Mac book Pro running:
2.66 intel core 2 duo
4gb 1066 mhz ddr3

ableton live 8.1

using MsPinky_M4L_AudioFX
and/or MsPinky_Revised

cough u46dj cough
coughcough

it could have been my audio routes in ableton... i had my mspinky channel (with m4l effect) input in 1/2 output to external 1/2
monitoring on

my audio banks had no input channel and their output was de-activated

then a new instance of mspinky on a third channel with in's coming from 3/4
outs going to external 3/4

i was able to scratch an audio clip on the 1/2 with no problems... and load them easily
but the 3/4 ... i could load easily but when audio was playing it seemed like it was doubled somewhat .. and then would drift.. and then glitch kind of sounds.
let me DOUBLE check tonight and repost. thanks
--- -- -
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:25 am

1) Check your Audio->Latency->buffer size settings in Ableton. Try increasing that and see if it helps with the glitchy audio.

2) I seem to recall something really wonky with the U46DJ regarding there being gain controls on input channels 1-2, but not on 3-4. So there's also the possibility that the inputs 3-4 are just too hot and the signal is getting distorted. Check the "error metric" readings for instances of the patch running on inputs 1-2, and instances on 3-4. The "error metric" readings should be approx. the same for each. If the "error metric" on 3-4 is much higher than 1-2 then it's probably because the U46 lacks proper input gain controls on 3-4. Doh!!

Seriously, though-- you should really ditch that soundcard. There are plenty of better options available now.
mr.

Post by mr. » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:38 pm

Lol~ ...

I know. I know.. but, since I toiled and tussled with it for such a long time and managed to make it work.

and your absolutely right about the 1/2 has a visible gain meter in its control panel and the 3/4 doesn't

however, they do both have a setting phono/line .. and i use the phono on both.

I will double check the error metrics and report back.

cheers,
mr.
--- -- -
karlo

how to set up multiple instances of ms pinky M4L revised?

Post by karlo » Tue May 10, 2011 11:09 am

Just rediscovered this thread, pasting my question from the other thread so the device author can take a look:

I've managed to set up Mastah Lee's Ms Pinky Revised M4L patch, and everything seems to work fine with one instance of it running. I can load audio files into ms pinky by launching clips, as intended.

However, when I set up a second instance of the patch in another track in my live set (my plan is to have a two turntable setup), it loads and plays back the same audio file playing in the other. It ends up outputting exactly the same audio basically, even when i press the stop button on the newer instance.

For example, i have the first pinky revised device playing back track A. When i load up track B in the second device, the first device starts playing track B as well. And vice versa. And this happens regardless of what live track i have selected in the drop down menu on the device.

I was thus forced to use the official ms pinky m4l patch for my second deck, and the revised patch of mastahlee for my first. i'd like however to be using two instance of the revised patch, and have them outputting whatever audio clips i load into them.

What is the proper way to set this up, such that i have two distinct "decks" using two distinct instances of the miss pinky m4l revised patch?

Ms pinky has been great so far, but I'd now like to move on from the VST to the greater creative flexibility that M4L brings.

Thanks in advance!\

Karlo