Ms. Pinky M4L Patch - Revised!

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:50 pm

Mastah you are the Master!

;)

BIG THANKS!

Time to spread, trust on me!

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
mchenetz

Post by mchenetz » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:56 pm

Interesting stuff. I am curious to see how the M4L Ms. Pinky suite evolves. If I can help out in any way then please tell me.

Mike
trypset

Post by trypset » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:21 am

can you please please explain more about "recording a clip and immediately scrating it." I can't wrap my head around how that would be setup or accomplished.

Also, to use M4L do you have to have MAX? Or can they be seperate?
mchenetz

Post by mchenetz » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:08 am

I cannot answer the first question because I have not tried out Ms Pinky in M4L. However, M4L is a plugin for Ableton Live 8. You do not need to own Max in order to use M4L. You just need to buy M4L and then create patches or use other people patches.

Extra info: You do need to install Max and Live. If you do not own Max standalone then you must open Max From Live.

Mike
graviton

Post by graviton » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:59 am

yayyyyyyyyyyy..

can't wait to try this out!!!!!

what I would love to see is to have pitch changes from external sources, such as turntables, tied to the clip tempo. i'm still trying to wrap my head around how it would work but essentially any changes to the tempo, while on vinyl control, would change the live clip's tempo.
mastahlee

Post by mastahlee » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:53 pm

trypset wrote:can you please please explain more about "recording a clip and immediately scrating it." I can't wrap my head around how that would be setup or accomplished.

Also, to use M4L do you have to have MAX? Or can they be seperate?
Its actually pretty simple. When you record something in Live it creates an audio file in a path set in the preferences. The Ms. Pinky patch loads files for scratching by reading in an audio file at the path that you give it (/path/to/audio.wav or something). For recorded audio, it simply just loads the audio file that is created by Live's recording process.

For example, all files I record in Live are put in the project_folder/samples/recorded folder, with filenames like "0001 Samples.aif" and so on. After Live is finished recording a sound file, Ms. Pinky just looks up the, for example, "0001 Samples.aif" audio file on your hard drive and loads it in.

As for software requirements, this patch requires Ableton Live 8, Max For Live, and the Ms. Pinky software. No full version of Max required, and actually will not work if you only have Max and not Max For Live.
trypset

Post by trypset » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:36 pm

thanks. Currently I have Live Intro. I will need to upgrade and purchase M4L. But this patch that you've made will quicken the process :)
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:41 pm

It seems something wrong to get "recorded" samples from "project" path.

I added library and project... any advice?

Mudo means mute person.

mastahlee

Post by mastahlee » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:52 am

Mudo wrote:...

It seems something wrong to get "recorded" samples from "project" path.

I added library and project... any advice?

On the session clip detail view, there is a way to to see the path to a clip. Do that and make sure wherever it is located is within your Max 5 path. This will be different depending whether the live set is within a project or not.

Also, what OS are you running? OS X or Windows XP, Vista, or 7? In my experience, the recorded sample cannot be immediately opened by Ms. Pinky running on Windows XP due to how the OS deals with file locking.
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:01 am

Done! Was an error about one old project path.

Thanks Mastah!

Mudo means mute person.

mchenetz

Post by mchenetz » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:18 pm

It looks like I might be playing with this stuff soon. I look forward to contributing.

Mike
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:45 pm

Cool Mike!

:)

Mudo means mute person.

graviton

Post by graviton » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:06 am

Is it possible to use two instances of your revised patch?

I'm encountering a problem where both instances get the same audio. Which ever clip I select will play on both decks.

Can someone also please test two instances?

I am really amazed by the progress in your patch and forsee some great things. Thanks so much for your hard work..
vmardian

Post by vmardian » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:25 pm

Very cool!

I'm thinking of buying Ms. Pinky + Max4Live + a turntable + audio interface, just for this patch!

Would it be possible to mix in a song with a bit of scratching and still have it come in quantized?
trypset

Post by trypset » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:13 am

I don't have the patch but from the research I've done.....the patch will play the original audio file....not the quatized warped clip....however it might start quantized when you launch the initial clip, the tempo has to be controlled by the turntable..

you could use the patch to scrath audio, and have another track in ableton for the song you want to be quantized.