Annoying Pop at beginning of sound files?

For topics related to using MsPinky inside the Max/MSP graphical programming environment
mastahlee
Annoying Pop at beginning of sound files?

Post by mastahlee » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:09 pm

Hey All,

I've been working on some new features for the Ms. Pinky Revised M4L patch, but ran into some trouble when my MacBook Pro crapped out on me. After migrating my work to my old Windows XP desktop, started work on it again but noticed an annoying issue that perhaps some of you have run across.

When playing back a sound file through Ms. Pinky, the very start of every file has a very discernible pop sound. It is present if you retrigger the file and you can even scratch the pop sound. Kinda sounds like the file header information is being read as audio or something, but I wouldn't know about these things.

There is no popping sound if I play back the file through Ableton or any other external media player. All my audio files are AIFs encoded on my Mac through Quicktime or Peak, I think. I've tried re-encoding audio files to WAV or MP3, sometimes the popping is reduced but it is always present. I did not have this problem on my Mac, but only on my Windows XP desktop. Running the same version of Live (8.1.1), Max For Live, and even using the same audio interface (Audio 8 DJ).

Not sure what the deal is here, any suggestions?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:00 pm

It might be that the version of mptcfs~ (mptcfs_sa~) for Windoze that I had on the downloads page was out-of-date. I just rebuilt it, and uploaded the fresh build for Windoze. I don't experience the pops you're describing in my tests, so perhaps the problem will go away if you delete your current version of mptcfs_sa~ for Windoze and download the new one.