Music Game using Turntables as Interface

A forum for sharing your artistic endeavors-- tracks recorded, mixes created, performances, etc. etc.
travelsound84
Music Game using Turntables as Interface

Post by travelsound84 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:17 pm

This is a first movie about the prototype of a music game i made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I2RWVavpIc

I'm working on a new video now and I will post it as soon as possible..

Looking forward to get some feedback..

Cheers :)
tesuji

"diamondsAndCode” is a Open Source Augmented Reality pe

Post by tesuji » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:47 pm

this is cool

this is my work
"diamondsAndCode” is a Open Source Augmented Reality performative teaching game for turntable practice and instrumentation, with the focus on the techniques of scratching, beat juggling and User-generated calibration/content.

http://a.parsons.edu/~merel117/thesis/index.html
http://www.vimeo.com/11468346
http://amt.parsons.edu/mfadt/thesis/2010/
travelsound84

Post by travelsound84 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:30 pm

thank you! :)

i like your solution too... seems a lot like a hiphop-DJ-practise game..
really cool idea!

cheers
tesuji

kik ass prototype

Post by tesuji » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:14 pm

I am not sure what your plans are or how you made this kik ass prototype.
So I don't know how relevant this is to say but it would be cool if you had the game switch back and forth between what turntable controls direction and speed. It looks like it could be addictive and performed.
I think any game that uses an instrument as its interface would only allow you to improve your skills. One of the cooler parts of this from me is that you do control the speed. That's different than let's say audio surf or etc..
But It complicates if you want to create non-dissonant audio. It would be nice to see your holding time on your ability to control speed diminishes, so that game AI has the last word when obstacles moved toward you. It would be like shadow of the Colossus stamina for holding. It would be really cool if you were given the option to do quick scribbles to fire weapons and have different color walls react in unique ways to the weapon. In my own process of creating a game where the turntable is used I had to ask myself why this interface. I didn't want to see what I could have used two analog sticks and gotten the same result. Because then maybe I should ask why not the game controller is an instrument, which had not been my aim. I really believe this is one of the major revitalizing forms for the turntable and games.

I will be able to have a downloadable version of my diamondsAndCode soon it might only be for Apple for time...
I'm working on a click-less interface right now. Depending on the I/O you will be able to test cross fade accuracy.

What are you using to create this?
Why did you create this?
Have you ran into any problems or have a wish list.
And lastly have you done any player testing.

tesuji
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:05 pm

Maybe we could start a "game" design... I have some really good ideas waiting coders...

;)

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
travelsound84

Post by travelsound84 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:09 pm

Hi there

yeah we should start a game design company.. :)
i live in switzerland, where do you guys live?

to tesuji
>
What are you using to create this?
Why did you create this?
Have you ran into any problems or have a wish list.
And lastly have you done any player testing.
<

1. The game engine is "unity". i used a plugin called "fmod" to manipulate the music, so it sounds like on vinyl. also maxMsp for vinyltracking.
2. i chose this project as my diploma thesis. mostly becaus i'm fascinated by the fact to control time of music with a very high precision.
3. one big problem i still have to solve is loading and manipulatin many samples at once with fmod, i have a out of memory probelm and i don't know how to fix it yet.
4. yes i had a lot of people testing my game at our diploma exhibition, and the feedback was good. mostly that it feels very intuitive, music sounds great and the visuals are very clear. but i saw a lot of people that didn't understand in the first place what to do, so the game should have more explenation of the gameplay. it should be more self explaining (don't know how to say that).

anyway thanks for the feedback!
and you are right about the interface "Turntable" should play an inportant role!
otherwise i could have used a touchscreen or whatever. So for me it was important that turntable gestures were considered in the gameplay. also the fact, as you said it, to control time, as if it was a kind of bullettime.

i still have to update a lot in this game!

if you are interested in playing it, i'm making a performance of the game at an art exhibition in Stuttgart (Germany). The date is July 14.-17.

Cheers
tesuji

great stuff

Post by tesuji » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:32 pm

great stuff
love that "unity"
it is cool for the ability to import it so many forms.
I had run into questions about user scenarios by non-DJs
I really did have have a better time of explaining the game to DJs.
But non-dj did have "i get it" moment or the "ah-ha" moment... but I did need to be there to explain the game.
This had been before I made a game book.
I think most of my problems will be resolved by physical reinforcement in the starting the gameplay and selecting personal parameters. I'll announce my game launch on the forum.
It will include some useful max/msp patches and some ways to hook up with open sound control to open frameworks.. so if people want to mess around with code and the turntables...make their own game...
I'm also working pretty hard on an XML turntable recorder / player.
So I am calling it "TML turntable markup language" You heard it here first.
Good luck with the show...I live in Brooklyn NY. usa so probably won't make it.
I look forward to seeing more.

tesuji
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:17 am

Yeeeeaaaah!

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
mr.

Post by mr. » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:34 pm

Brilliant... shit is so deep I can't even read all the posts (and think about them) on the first pass
--- -- -