"Diamonds&&Code"

A forum for sharing your artistic endeavors-- tracks recorded, mixes created, performances, etc. etc.
tesuji
"Diamonds&&Code"

Post by tesuji » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:25 pm

"Diamonds&&Code" had grown out of my desire to take what I perceive as the present day possibilities of turntable instrumentation mixed with game design and data.

http://vimeo.com/6350131

Doing It.
That sweet OSC made my connection to OF (Open Frameworks) easy. So I can't say enough about that....
I used the velocity to change my colors. I softened the positions of the records, stuck it with a modulus operator set to 360. !! OpenGL !!

There is a growing AR community that is super supportive on the OF forum. I used three ARTool Kit markers. One to go at the top of the mixer and 2 on the center of the records themselves. Some data was better served from the middle marker at the top of the mixer. Like the cartoon I drew and manipulated it simply looked better not rotating.

My I/O was native instruments DJ 8 but I must warn you as of this time I was unable to get the version of rtAudio (the audio class in Open Frameworks) to recognize it all the way. So to get the FFT to shape the visuals I used Max/msp and went to the minijack on my laptop.

!!More to come!! Three-dimensional drawing tool, videogame(s),
!!! faster fps. !!!!

lee meredith (Tesuji)
tesujicamera@gmail.com
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

OSC Rocks!!

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:58 am

Awesome!! This is exactly why I wanted to include OSC output for Ms Pinky.
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:34 pm

Great!

Could ou get us a bit background about yourself?

:)

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
tesuji

background

Post by tesuji » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:47 am

I live in Brooklyn ny. I am in graduate school at Parsons in the design and technology department. It's a long sordid story but ms pinky really started my journey as a programmer. In undergrad I had majored in theater which drove me to multimedia art. I proceeded to go around the country in a van to drum and bass parties as a spectator. I landed in Santa Fe New Mexico where I did theater with some friends. The turntables have always been a major source in every thing I do. The exponential growth of technology kept me "fiending" the truth about vinyl. At some point I ran into ms pinky which led to the lineage of max/msp jitter, then to Processing, then getting accepted to Parsons led me to Open Frameworks. Each time I walked into the a new programming environment I carried the vinyl with me "thinking". I never really cared for that want to be "respected/I'm as good as any instrument" behavior in the last year's of the turntable story. If people can't see that they're really not worth hanging out with. That is not to say the turntables and the community that supports it hasn't dropped the ball. It really seems like sponsorship means more than free expression. I mean just look around on the web who scratch video? How long has this technology been around. It seems that it's a little underwhelming especially when you know how bad things are all around the world. Is the third Renaissance on its way? I guess I would rather hear the last nail being driven from inside the coffin then to be the one on the outside puting it in.

tesuji
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:44 am

That's the real deal, bro. Thanks for sharing that. That's the kind of stuff that keeps me going on this.
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:33 am

Welcome and don't mess the spirit...

I'm getting some efforts on show turntable as instrument (or surface interaction interface) because I think this is the best way to keep it from constant market evolution. I'm making the opposite way... I was producer (not really dj/tablist in typical way) and this last year I start to study (selflearning) arduino coding and electronics. I'm helping as much as I can (usually for loving art not for money) and sharing info with all who wants to make things grow in love way. Most of the ideas that I share usually give profits to others and they are few who give me thanks (almost).

Scott is one of them and I consider him a friend. I try to support the Ms. Pinky the best as I can. First trought the forum, second with my advices, third with my persistance... xD but...

about vinyl scene WE must think in some things to survive:

1- Nowadays we are in the middle of a financial crisis
2- Elit wants to impose a "new one world currency" (check internet)
3- In the case we leave "these" model... today we live with money, we need to take it in consideration.
4- Turntables are missundertood. Tablist are afraid of become musicians. Musicians are bored of tablist pride.
5- TTM is the key (for me). Work is done, wait results.
6- Maxforlive is near. Wait artistic explosion (or help in coding)
7- We must save the "interface" and "gig". Someones will want only motorized control with protocol (look at Scs.1d, denon 3700...), someothers will (still) want vynil at "old fashioned" way. I want to let the people choose. This is my effort.
8- Ms. Pinky sends protocol (and maybe must recive... remember the vci post Scott) but it is doesn't relevant... maxmsp and pure data enviorements will put the things in their place. It is comming...

Video Turntablism is out there, growing slowly (you must bear in mind that I needed a midi crossfader 7 years ago (...) and it is now when I'm selfsufficient (more or less) to do it by myself).

People needs to wake up and audiovisuals are the "tools for the trade" but you must not wait to... you/we are part of the process.

www.myspace.com/tooltablist

I adviced Resolume, VDMX (and ever OSC receptor) to create bridges... and you seem the perfect person to understand OUR rol.

Thank YOU, thank Scott (for your inspirational software), thanks God (try the form yourself) and keep flowing...

ps: Scott please take a minute for answer my mails. I need some update about your state.

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms