BinkyToy making horrid distortion noise

Topics regarding MsPinky's BinkyToy Application
TimJones
BinkyToy making horrid distortion noise

Post by TimJones » Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:37 pm

Just used MsPinky for the first time in about a year. Since then, I've added more RAM to my laptop and upgraded to OSX10.4. I use a Maya44 for audio I/O.

Of course initially the Maya44 interface was entirely broken, but following advice from the forums, I was able to fix it using the Audio Aggregate Device Editor.

As soon as it started working, I noticed a huge improvement in vinyl response time! Apparently the extra 500MB RAM made a big difference, and I am real excited about the possibilities.

Unfortunately, BinkyToy's audio output now has intermittent nasty distortion noise. Here is what it sounds like:

http://toneland.net/binkytoy_error.wav

I recorded this by sending my Maya's output onto a minidisk.

This error happens independent of vinyl-demodulation-- it appears to be a playback issue only.

My audio output is not distorted for any other program. The same MP3s that sound perfect in iTunes or Quicktime are distorted in BinkyToy.

What do you think could be causing the problem, and how can I fix it?

Much thanks!

=Tim=
ben hustis

Post by ben hustis » Mon May 29, 2006 10:20 pm

i know this is an older post, but i'm having the same issue.

has anyone else experienced this problem or come up with a solution?

i'm using a maya44 and a 1 gig 1.67ghz powerbook g4, tiger 10.4.6/
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Buffer Size

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue May 30, 2006 5:14 pm

Unfortunately, I can't reproduce this problem. I have a Maya 44 and it works great (no distortion) with my 1.25 GHz AL PowerBook running 10.4.6 Combo Update.

Here are some things to try:

1) What is the "buffer size" setting you've got under the "Audio I/O" tab?

If you make "buffer size" too small, it could cause distortion.

2) How many files do you have open simultaneously in Group1 and Group2? Try just having a couple files open at once. Having too many files open at once could also cause some kind of distortion due to missed buffers.

3) Try clearing all the Effects off of the various sub-mixers throughout the program. Having too many effects running somewhere in the program could also cause missed buffers and hence this kind of distortion.
ben hustis

Post by ben hustis » Tue May 30, 2006 6:33 pm

thanks for the heads up, pinkstah... i'll try increasing my buffer and seeing how it goes.