All the binky data within Max ???

Topics regarding MsPinky's BinkyToy Application
marleynoe
All the binky data within Max ???

Post by marleynoe » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:11 pm

Hi There!

Does anybody know, if the binky toy is an app build out of a Max/MSP-patch ? (it looks like)

If so, could someone tell me what kind of HiPass-Filter-External or -abstraction was used in the binky toy to "combat low frequency œrumble” being introduced by your turntable or the way you are thrashing the record around" ?

However, whatïs really vital for me to know, is how can i get the data (values) which in the binky toy is known as "sharpness" / "thresh" and "metric" out the Max/MSP mspinky-externals???????

Hereïs the text from the html-docu: œThresh (dB)” and œsharpness” relate to Ms Pinky's ability to track the control signal. .... The œmetric” readout gives an indication of the relative error level in the position stamp decoder, and œposition” is the output value from the decoder."

Pleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaase !! Help !

g.javascript:emoticon(':wink:')

:wink:
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Re: All the binky data within Max ???

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:07 pm

marleynoe wrote:Does anybody know, if the binky toy is an app build out of a Max/MSP-patch ? (it looks like)

If so, could someone tell me what kind of HiPass-Filter-External or -abstraction was used in the binky toy to "combat low frequency œrumble” being introduced by your turntable or the way you are thrashing the record around" ?

However, whatïs really vital for me to know, is how can i get the data (values) which in the binky toy is known as "sharpness" / "thresh" and "metric" out the Max/MSP mspinky-externals???????

Hereïs the text from the html-docu: œThresh (dB)” and œsharpness” relate to Ms Pinky's ability to track the control signal. .... The œmetric” readout gives an indication of the relative error level in the position stamp decoder, and œposition” is the output value from the decoder."
Actually BinkyToy is not made with Max/MSP at all. It's built using the PowerPlant Application Framework from Metrowerks.

Regarding the hi-pass filter-- you don't have to worry about it in Max/MSP because the same hi-pass filter that is used by BinkyToy is already included in the Ms Pinky Max/MSP external objects MPTC~, MPTCFS~, and MPFT~ which track the vinyl motion and turn that into control signals inside Max. The only difference is that in the Max externals, the controls for setting the cutoff frequency of that hi-pass filter and the amount of low-frequency cut are not exposed to the user. In the Max externals I simply chose fixed values that will work well all around and set those internally. You really don't need to worry about that at all.

Regarding the "sharpness" and "threshold" values that affect vinyl tracking: you can control these values by sending messages to the inputs of the MPTC~ and MPTCFS~ objects. Please see the patches called "MsPinky_absolute_mode" and "MsPinky_MPTCFS" for illustration of how to set these values. It's very simple.

Regarding the error metric of the position stamp decoder: This value can be obtained in Max from the MPTC~ and MPTCFS~ objects by simply sending the "query metric" (MPTC~) or the "query vinyl_metric" (MPTCFS~) message to the object. The value is sent out the rightmost outlet as a message. As stated elsewhere in the documentation, the values of error metric that you should see when everything is working properly should be in the range of 0.01 up to 0.5.

Anything higher than about 0.5 indicates that there is some signal quality problem with your setup-- maybe a bad connection, maybe a faulty stylus or cartridge, maybe an overdriven (clipped) signal, etc. etc.