Can't use vinyl control with Binky Toy

Topics regarding MsPinky's BinkyToy Application
Tracedj
Can't use vinyl control with Binky Toy

Post by Tracedj » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:56 pm

sup all, just got my mspinky vinyl an hour ago. Everything looks great but I just can't get the vinyl control to work : (

Here's my setup:

2 Numark TTx1 (phono out) > U46DJ > Vestax PMC 05 (line in) > 1.2 Ghz iBook G4 512 MB ram 10.4.3 tiger.

with Stanton trackmaster SK II cart rated at 7mV output.

playing both with normal vinyl and playing music with binkytoy (newest version) worked. But as soon as I put it in vinyl control, doesn't matter rel or abs mode all I could hear is the loud low freq huming noise from the mspinky vinyl.

Can anyone please help me out? :( I'd be really really appreciated
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Use Audio-Midi Setup Utility to lower throughput levels

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:56 am

To get rid of that audio feed-through (vinyl control signal sound), use the OSX "Audio MIDI Setup" utility program. Set the input levels for the U46DJ to the minimum and the feed-through problem (hearing the control signal) should go away. For some reason, the input level controls that are exposed via "Audio MIDI Setup" actually control the audio feedthrough levels.

Setting those to minimum still allows the signal from the turntable to go into BinkyToy (or Maxi-Patch) for control purposes, and you can still play normal vinyl music records in "pass-thru" mode.

By the way-- when in absolute vinyl mode, what are the "error metric" values that you're getting?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Make an Aggregate Device for the U46DJ Ins/Outs

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:43 pm

Also don't forget that under Tiger OSX you have to create an "aggregate device" audio device using the U46DJ's inputs and outputs.

Here's an article from the ms pinky forum about this:

http://www.mspinky.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=237

Then inside BinkyToy, you select the "aggregate device" as your audio I/O.... not the "U46DJ" ins and outs.

A subtle distinction.. but a necessary one.

:wink:
Tracedj

Post by Tracedj » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:32 pm

Yep, everything works fine now. KICK ASS!!its amazing how U46DJ can do a 96 ms latency without any problem. this is just too much for me i thought i was gonna have a heart attack when scratching on mspinky