Recording Audio into Binkytoy

Topics regarding MsPinky's BinkyToy Application
christofleeze
Recording Audio into Binkytoy

Post by christofleeze » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:17 pm

Just wondering what the specs are on the audio that is recorded into binkytoy. 44.1? i know it's aif, but just trying to see if sampling directly into binkytoy is the way to go, or should I use another prog. to do this?

Also...

I am only using one turntable in my setup. I have the table going into the preamp, and then into input 7&8 on my motu 828. In the binkytoy software, i have set groups 1 and 2 to input from the 7&8 input of the motu 828 interface. Here's the question:

If i want to record from a mic, and the mic is plugged into input 1 of the 828, is there a way to set binky toy to do this w/o having to adjust group 1&2's input? is there a panel that allows you to select just one channel for recording so that you can record a mono source and scratch that audio. I only began to experiment w/ this recording feature last night, so I'm not totally sure how to do this the best possible way.

If I record w/ audio input set to 1&2 (because there is no option for just 1 or 2) and the only audio source that i have going into the 828 is a mic that is pluged into audio input 1 on the 828 and nothing in audio input 2, will the result be an audio sample that only plays back on the left speaker of the monitor p.a.?

Does it only record mono? Would I need to split my mic signal to go to 1&2 input on my 828?

::chris::
visit me at:

http://www.myspace.com/christofleeze

If you've got a page, send me a friend request!
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Re: Recording Audio into Binkytoy

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:02 pm

christofleeze wrote:Just wondering what the specs are on the audio that is recorded into binkytoy. 44.1? i know it's aif, but just trying to see if sampling directly into binkytoy is the way to go, or should I use another prog. to do this?
Binky Toy's input sampling rate is equal to whatever the sampling rate for your audio converter is set to. So check your MOTU 828 control panel and it should tell you the sampling rate. Whatever that rate is is what the AIFF file that BinkyToy creates will be sampled at.

christofleeze wrote:
I am only using one turntable in my setup. I have the table going into the preamp, and then into input 7&8 on my motu 828. In the binkytoy software, i have set groups 1 and 2 to input from the 7&8 input of the motu 828 interface. Here's the question:

If i want to record from a mic, and the mic is plugged into input 1 of the 828, is there a way to set binky toy to do this w/o having to adjust group 1&2's input?
Since you're only using 1 turntable, why not use Group1 to handle the turntable input, and Group2 to handle the mic input. That way you could just configure everything once and just leave it. Otherwise, if you want to trade turntable control with the mic input on, say, Group1, then you will have to switch Vinyl Demod On/OFF for Group1 whenever you want to bring the mic input into Group1 for recording.

christofleeze wrote:
is there a panel that allows you to select just one channel for recording so that you can record a mono source and scratch that audio.
No. There is no such panel in BinkyToy. But you can certainly record your mic input into BinkyToy and scratch it.

christofleeze wrote:If I record w/ audio input set to 1&2 (because there is no option for just 1 or 2) and the only audio source that i have going into the 828 is a mic that is pluged into audio input 1 on the 828 and nothing in audio input 2, will the result be an audio sample that only plays back on the left speaker of the monitor p.a.?
What I'd recommend is using an effect (maybe a reverb) on the mic input because (like many of the BinkyToy FX) the reverb can take a mono input and make the output be stereophonic. You can play with the reverb parameters to make the echo-iness practically unnoticeable... yet the output will be in stereo due to the left-right crosscoupling that happens inside the reverb.

christofleeze wrote:
Does it only record mono? Would I need to split my mic signal to go to 1&2 input on my 828?
BinkyToy records in stereo, and only stereo. But you could split your mic signal. I see a trip to Radio Shack in your future :wink:
christofleeze

Post by christofleeze » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:29 pm

thank you, sir! helpful!

::chris::
visit me at:

http://www.myspace.com/christofleeze

If you've got a page, send me a friend request!
Tracedj

How about recording a mix with 2 turntables?

Post by Tracedj » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:11 am

I was going to make a new thread about recording but this is under a similar topic so i thought might as well make it here : )

Problem: I wanted to record my mix through the output of my mixer to my computer. But I've already used up all 4 of my input sources (2 inputs per turntable) for mspinky. I'm using 2 turntables, U46DJ and an Ibook (so no audio input avaliable).

Thanks in advance for help me out 8)

EDIT: Nevermind I think there's no other way of doing it unless i get another usb interface
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Check out SoundFlower (from cycling74.com)

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:09 pm

Here are a couple of ideas:

1) You could use Soundflower (free from cycling74.com) to pipe the audio

output from BinkyToy into the audio inputs of another audio application, for the purposes of recording the BinkyToy output mix or whatever...

http://www.cycling74.com/downloads/soundflower

2) Try using only (1) physical turntable for your mixing with BinkyToy. Just engage/disengage turntable control over each successive track in your mix as needed. So you cue up, set pitch, etc. for each track using the turntable control. Once you have it set right, disengage turntable control and just let the track play out naturally. You are then free to use that same physical turntable to cue up and pitch your next track. This frees up (2) two inputs on your audio converter which you could then use to bring in the final mix from your DJ mixer, and record that mix in another application...

3) Does your computer have a built-in audio input jack? Why not use that to record the output from your DJ mixer?
Tracedj

Post by Tracedj » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:44 am

that 2nd idea sounds pretty good, i'm going to try it out now : )

nah.. i'm using a ibook so no audio input jack avaliable. If i had 400 more i could've gotten a power book ><