BinkyToy 2.3 Uploaded 09/04/04 -- "Pitch-Lock Mode"

Topics regarding MsPinky's BinkyToy Application
dlpinkstah
Site Admin
BinkyToy 2.3 Uploaded 09/04/04 -- "Pitch-Lock Mode"

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:02 pm

A new version (2.3) of BinkyToy was uploaded 09/04/04 which now includes "Pitch-Lock Mode". This allows you to adjust the playback speed of a track without affecting the pitch. Each track can individually select or de-select "Pitch-Lock Mode". When a track is in "Pitch-Lock Mode" you may change the playback speed using either the vinyl control interface, or the pitch slider in the file play view.

The time-stretching algorithm which I used to do this is a relatively simple and computationally efficient time-domain algorithm. In my humble opinion, it sounds very good when changing playback speed between about 82% of normal speed to about 130% normal speed. Outside that range you start to hear strange artifacts... which some may find interesting, but are for the most part undesirable. Also-- don't attempt to scratch in "Pitch-Lock Mode" -- it just sounds really sick (and not in a good way :wink: )

My next task is to include this same feature in all the Max-based stuff (external objects, Maxi-Patch (AO/AV), etc..).
lo-fi

Post by lo-fi » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:09 pm

You're doing about one update a month. Don't you guys sleep?

:)
Gold Code

won't work on my system!

Post by Gold Code » Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:58 pm

DL'd 2.3 last night and it won't launch! I'm using Ms. Pinky on a 550 Mhz Ti Book with 512 MB ram, running Panther 10.3.5 and using a M Audio Quattro for the DAC and 2 Rolls phono amps.

I really believe in this piece of software and would very much like to use this software alot more, but it always seems to crash or get warbly on me after 4 or 5 songs. Is it it plausable that Ms. pinky is going to run stable on this machine or is it just time to upgrade. Traktor FS runs perfectly fine on this machine now, but I'd rather run and support MS Pinky hel p me out pleeeeeeeese!
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Delete your MsPinky Preferences Files, and ditch the Quattro

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:20 pm

Hey Gold Code-

Sounds like you may have some corrupted MsPinky Preferences files.

Go to the <<YourUserName>>/Library/Preferences folder and delete

all the preferences files whose names start with "MsPinky" (MsPinky-TouchePas, MsPinkyKeyMappings, MsPinkySetLists) and also the file "BabyTalkFXConfigs". That should allow the program to launch successfully.

Now I'm sorry to say I can't help you with the other problem you're having (the crashing and the warbling problems) because I'm pretty sure those problems are due to the fact that you're using the M-Audio Quattro. I've had to actively discourage folks from trying to use MsPinky with that particular audio device. It's just notoriously flakey. So to improve your MsPinky experience, I would suggest two things:

1) First-- ditch the Quattro. A FireWire audio converter is highly recommended. You might try the M-Audio 410 FireWire, for instance. Hey-- even the built-in audio hardware on your machine will be better than using the Quattro (even though you'll only be able to use 1 TT that way).

2) A faster machine is also recommended. With the 550 MHz TiBk you're going to be maxing out the CPU a lot -- which can also lead to unstable operation. :cry:

If you have further problems, please email me directly.
two_masks

Post by two_masks » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:24 am

Just wanted to chime in to mention that I've used BinkyToy w/ an M-Audio Quattro on a 1GHz Powerbook many times with no problems, including multiple-hour sets. Knowing M-Audio it's still quite possible that they're at fault, but make sure there's not something else "off" in your signal path before you ditch the card.

JB
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

My apologies to M-Audio

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:42 am

Yes, I realize perhaps what I said about M-Audio is too harsh! :oops:

They are really great guys, you know. Actually I've met them and they're very supportive of MsPinky, so I would always recommend their products. But even they have admitted that there are lots of problems with the Quattro -- not all of the units have these problems (they had several revisions of the product) -- and perhaps it works better on faster machines.

I'm hoping they will come out soon with a newer product to replace the Quattro that will have 4in X 4out and be more robust. We'll see. Send them lots of emails requesting what you think would be the ideal audio converter to use with MsPinky!