latency and binky

Topics regarding MsPinky's BinkyToy Application
RegulatorJohnson
latency and binky

Post by RegulatorJohnson » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:03 pm

i am using

G5 dual 2GHZ

1.25 GIG RAM

m-audio 1010LT PCI audio card (12 INS - 10 OUTS) set as aggregate device, etc.

2 - vestax TT's

vestax mixer.

ms pinky gen4 vinyl.

i have not been able to get it very tight. it always seems to have latency. i have tried a variety of settings nothing seems to really make it have less latency. i am not sure what it is but it doesnt feel the same to me as real vinyl.

maxi patch basically doesnt work very well at all for me so i dont use it. it makes terrible feedback distortion and still has latency.

so what are my options as far as software i know of binkytoy and maxi patch and g-demo..are there any others that work well?

i have RTFM and its not much help.

basically i am just venting :D
-

statespellingchimp.com

btreemedia.com
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

must be the soundcard

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:22 pm

Hello Jon,

The latency you're experiencing is most likely due to the inherent I/O latency of the PCI soundcard you're using. I've actually never tested Ms Pinky myself with a PCI soundcard of any kind. I thought those basically went out like in the late 90's? I'm a big fan of FireWire because of it's higher bandwidth, and therefore lower latency. In your case, I'd suggest trying the BinkyToy with a different soundcard that has proven low-latency performance with Ms Pinky. We provide a list of the ones we have personal experience with elsewhere on this site, and the M-Audio PCI is not among them. Even the lowly U46DJ will give you nice tight performance, if not the greatest sound quality in the world.

As far as other software options for testing Ms Pinky: Please try the Pinky Pluggo version of Ms Pinky inside the host application of your choice.
RegulatorJohnson

Post by RegulatorJohnson » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:27 pm

well dam.. i knew that it was slower but thought it didnt matter, but now i know when it says "zero latency hardware monitoring low latency drivers" its just marketing.. :D hahahah

thought the having more ins and outs might be nice too. oh well.

it works pretty well, but im gonna hook up the us4dj if i can find one.

thanks.
-

statespellingchimp.com

btreemedia.com
RegulatorJohnson

Post by RegulatorJohnson » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:48 pm

hey i cant find the list of devices that work well with mspinky.. the u46dj and most of the other ones i can fine seem like it will be returning a mono signal. maybe i am just confused.
-

statespellingchimp.com

btreemedia.com
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

recommended audio devices

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:33 am

On the required physical setup page there's a setup slideshow which contains a list of recommended audio devices:

http://www.mspinky.com/setup_slideshow/ ... Setup.html

Also this is a good one:

http://www.mspinky.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6
RegulatorJohnson

Post by RegulatorJohnson » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:06 pm

ok i thanks knew i saw it somewhere.

i messed around with it. and the thing that bothered me all along was being inconsistent with same settings. and after a blinding flash of the obvious realized that some of my mp3s are arcross a network on a G4...so sometimes i had a local mp3 and sometimes remote..hahahaha was tripping me out.

so now i narrowed it down it works pretty consistent and pretty low latency. this card works pretty well for me but i have nothing to compare it to. will there always be a certain amount of latency just because of what is happening. or if i get the RME or m-audio firewire or something else will there still be a bit of latency that is jsut part of these systems. dont get me wrong this works very well but i still can feel a bit of latency. im not even sure its latency and not the cue slipping. so i have a few days left to return this card i guess ill have to use it and see how it goes. now that i have all my mp3s local hahahaha
-

statespellingchimp.com

btreemedia.com