First professional gig with Binky Toy

Topics regarding MsPinky's BinkyToy Application
bragi0
First professional gig with Binky Toy

Post by bragi0 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:04 pm

Well, tonight I played my first pro gig using Binky Toy instead of Ableton Live.

I learned a lot.

1) [and this is a BIGGY] you have to pause the track you had playing *before* you start with a new track. Otherwise you'll have an inexplicable two-tracks-at-once in the headphones. I don't get why you'd want to be able to do that yet.

2) MOTU ultralite outputs 1/2 in the software are main out. 1/2 in hardware is 3/4 in software (at the ms pinky end)

3) Make sure you delete old buggy versions before playing. It took me three tracks on vinyl until I figured out I'd run the version in my Applications folder instead of the desktop, and that was the one with the CD skipping.

4) RANE mixers are a pain-in-the-arse. The queueing sucks, ESPECIALLY if you've got an A&H xone:92 at home :) I especially hated the sudden "oh we've lost the left channel on queue" (i use the headdies on my left ear)... that made for a fun mix on the monitor/mains instead of the headdies until I figured it.

5) There needs to be some way to mark a track as previously played other than leaving vinyl control turned on on it.

6) The manual needs to be updated to include some info that's only on the forum, like how to get BT to make the waveforms for everything that's imported.

Other than that it was a good night, and a good experience. If anyone wants my opinion on other things that need changing, I'm happy to type them out. In general it was great, and when I'd sorted my problems at the start a lot of fun.

Next up, figuring out MIDI control and how to make the effects actually usable.

Oh, one "wish" would be the ability to set up a parametric EQ per track and store it with the track (al la waveform). I'm guessing that MAX/MSP makes that very hard though.

I think the next step will be coding my own DJ software....
casiustonen

Post by casiustonen » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:38 am

im with you.

i think the same.

same questions, same problems.

im a dj from valencia (spain).
casiustonen

Post by casiustonen » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:42 am

why binky toy gets the playlist i drag wrongly? the first track of the playlist is the last at binky toy. it´s no logic.

any idea?