Binky Toy, Leopard, Config files

Topics regarding MsPinky's BinkyToy Application
mikex
Binky Toy, Leopard, Config files

Post by mikex » Thu May 29, 2008 10:28 pm

Hi,
First, Maxi Patch and msp objects work fine without any problems, but
Binky toy is kinda misbehaving - sometimes I will get high pitched unberable sound (pitch of the sound depends on buffer settings so probably some buffer loop).
I have tried to delete all config files I could find but my settings and tracks added are there after restart, could you please provide all config files with locations so I can start over from the beginning.

Thank You!
MBP INTEL Leopard 10.5.3. (internal soundcard/maya44 (i know...))

Update:
Sound disappears when Group1/2 input is turned to 0
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri May 30, 2008 6:03 am

Hi Mike,

I'm confused because you mention two soundcards:

(internal soundcard/maya44 (i know...))

So how exactly do you have your audio devices configured for use with Ms Pinky? I assume you're saying that you tried first with the internal soundcard, and then with the Maya44? Or did you create an aggregate device using both soundcards?

And what about turntables? Do you have those connected somewhere?

Please explain in more detail.

As far as the prefs files for BinkyToy, they are all located in /YourUserName/Library/Preferences and they are

1) MsPinky-TouchePas
2) MsPinkyKeyMappings
3) MsPinkySetLists
4) BabyTalkFXConfigs

If you delete all of those files, then you will be back to "State 0" with the app. However, I doubt very seriously that the "howling sound" problem you've mentioned has anything at all to do with the prefs files. Much more likely to be a problem with the way you're setting up your audio device(s).
mikex

Post by mikex » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:17 pm

I am on the road now, so I cannot retry it with maya and turntable signal, but on internal card if I select input for group1/2 as internal line in or microphone any volume for this input higher than 0 starts highpitch sound at maximum loudness (square at around 5K) otherwise everything is fine...

With other software line and microphone works fine...

Will do more tests tomorrow with maya and pinky vinyl...
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

feedback!

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:27 am

The reason you hear that high-pitched howling is because there is a feedback loop between the built-in microphone and the built-in speakers. When you have the "vinyl demod" turned off (for either Group1 or Group2 or both), then the signal from the built-in microphone goes straight thru to the outputs. This can be very useful if you want to play "normal" music records on the system, passing the sound of the vinyl through the software, perhaps adding some effects. But in your case it's just a nuisance. To get rid of the problem, either select another input source besides the built-in microphone or turn "vinyl demod" on for both Groups 1 & 2. You can also just turn down all the volume levels under the "Group1 In" and "Group2 In" tabs.

For more information on this , please read the BinkyToy HTML Users Guide.
mikex

Post by mikex » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:13 am

Thanks!
The sound disappears when I turn the vinyl demodulation on but still, how can there be a feedback from linein (without any input at all) when all the output is listened through headphones? No mic involved no speakers turned on... Must be some kind of internal routing as when I turn mic recording volume all the way down it is gone. :-]
mikex

Post by mikex » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:07 pm

Finally found some time and got the problem sorted, it was just a feedback from control vinyl making a loads of mess. Thanks for help