Maxi-Patch 3.7.3: Loop and Cue Points, improved waveform!

Topics regarding MsPinky's Maxi-Patch Application
dlpinkstah
Site Admin
Maxi-Patch 3.7.3: Loop and Cue Points, improved waveform!

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:26 am

Maxi-Patch version 3.7.3 for OSX and Windoom is ready for registered fan club members to download.

New features:

1) Loop Points

Ms Pinky's Maxi-Patch now supports setting, saving, and restoring up to 16 looped segments per audio file. Located above the zoomed waveform displays is a 16-segment control which you use to select the current loop slot. After selecting the desired loop slot, hold down Apple-Shift (OSX) or Control-Shift (Windoom) and drag across the portion of the waveform (on either waveform display) that you wish to loop on. Then enable the "play loop" toggle button which is directly underneath the filter graph display in the file player deck. Now when the file plays (with or without vinyl control) it should only loop over the selected region of the waveform. Once you've initially specified a loop segment you may refine its boundaries by holding down the Apple (Command) key (OSX) or the Control key (Windoom) and dragging near either edge of the looped segment that is displayed. The loop slot select control is MIDI-mappable. To access the MIDI mappings, hit the “MIDI Map” button just to the left.
Loop points are saved with the waveform data file.

2) Cue Points

Ms Pinky's Maxi-Patch now supports setting, saving, and restoring up to 16 cue points per audio file. Located beneath the bottom waveform display is a 16-segment control for selecting the cue slot. After selecting the cue slot, specify a cue point by holding down the Shift key (OSX or Windoom) and dragging over the waveform display. A red indicator bar shows the currently selected cue point. While still holding down the shift key, release the mouse and the cue point is set. Recall instantly by pressing the numbered cue slot selector. The cue slot selector control is MIDI-mappable. Cue points are saved with the waveform data file.

3) Improved Waveform

The waveform can now zoom in by a factor of 64 (that's 4 times as much as it could before). This makes for much more satisfying waveform viewing. The waveform data files themselves are a bit larger because of this finer magnification (and will need to be recalculated) and because they now also contain loop and cue point data.

4) Improved MIDI setup and handling

We've made some performance improvements to the MIDI control aspects of Maxi-Patch. The way we used to do this was very messy and inefficient in terms of the Max patching involved. A new streamlined optimized C++ code approach makes everything run faster and better with the MIDI mapping, and makes the patches a lot nicer to look at! Check out the new "MIDI Setup" menu item under the "Ms Pinky & Me" menu. Under the “MsPinky & Me” menu at the top, select “MIDI Setup”. This brings up a window where you can see displayed all the MIDI input and output devices that are currently available on your system. Check marks in the column labeled “On” indicate which ones are to be used with Maxi-Patch. If you have multiple MIDI devices, some of which are programmed to transmit on the same MIDI channels, you can select in the column labeled “Offset” a value to add to the base channel number of a given MIDI device so that it does not interfere with the others. There is another column labeled “Abbrev” which allows you to choose an abbreviated name for a MIDI device, but this is not currently used in Maxi-Patch. For more info on MIDI mapping, see the "Quick_Start.pdf" file included in the download.

5) General Spring Cleaning

All of the principal patches that comprise the Maxi-Patch have been tidied up considerably! You should now have no trouble viewing them and figuring out what they're doing, especially the MIDI mapping parts which are now simply elegant.
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:33 pm

Cool!

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
hydro

Post by hydro » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:39 pm

dope!!!!

Gonna download now!
hydro

Post by hydro » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:36 pm

having some difficulties with the cue points,

I can create cue points easy enough however when it comes to mapping them to midi i cant get it to work.

If i press the cue point selec with mouse it goes straight to the point.

im sure its something im not doing right.

what do first file select and number of notes in span mean?

edirol 66
midi usb keyboard
macbook pro 2,53gz
korg nano kontroll
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:33 am

Currently there are 3 ways you can control loop and cue points with MIDI

1) Select a MIDI note to cycle through all 16 cue points (or loop points) sequentially. Every time you play the selected MIDI note, the cue point (or loop point) index is incremented by 1. So after hitting that same note 16 times, you will have cycled through all the cue points (or loop points),
and the cycle will start again.

2) Select a MIDI note to trigger the currently selected cue point (or loop point) again. Every time you hit this MIDI note, the file playback snaps immediately to the currently selected cue point (or loop point).

3) Map a MIDI controller to cue point (or loop point) selection. As you turn the MIDI knob, or push the MIDI fader, you'll see how the currently selected cue point (or loop point) ranges between 1 and 16. As each cue point or loop point is selected by the MIDI control, you'll also observe how file playback immediately snaps to the position defined by the cue point (or loop point).

Important: in order for the MIDI control of cue points (or loop points) to work you must check the "MIDI Note enable" and "MIDI CC enable" buttons. To access the MIDI mapping controls for loop/cue points, hit the "MIDI Map" button on the zoomed waveform display.
JimmyOlsen

Cue point controlled with midi.

Post by JimmyOlsen » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:12 am

Hot cues!!! AWESOME. One question.

Can you assign a midi note to each cue avoiding the need to use the selector so i can do this?

http://vodpod.com/watch/1190322-mike-re ... utube-live

Thanks

Z
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:17 am

Yes, that can be done. If you have Max/MSP, you could do it today! The patches are all there and you can modify them any way you want. But if you don't have Max/MSP, you'll just have to wait until I get around to making the mod.... I'll do it soon.. but can't promise exactly when :wink:
hydro

Post by hydro » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:34 am

ahh cool, understand now, bit too baked last night i think!

I think what i was trying to do was what the guy who posted the vid wanted to do.

What i was hoping to assign each of the of the midi cc buttons on my kontrol pad, to a specific cue point i.e cue 1button 1, cue 2 button 2 etc.

ANyway just have to wait i guess!

Gonna be testing out mspinky for the first time live this weekend at the community skratch games,

http://nozlrecordings.com/2010/03/16/posters-like/

so will et you know how the new patch goes, with the cue points!
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:59 pm

Are you sure the buttons on your control pad are CC's (Controller)? I'd think they would be notes, not CC's. A CC is usually for a knob or a slider because it sends a range of values between 0... 127. A button of any kind is almost always going to send NOTE information, with velocity, channel, and note number information. Please check the type of values that your control pad buttons are sending.
JimmyOlsen

1 step closer

Post by JimmyOlsen » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:13 am

ok I now have max/msp for 30days, have opened the project, have navigated and opened the zoom_waveform patch (which is where i assume i need to make changes).......

Now i am looking at it in diagram view and I am totally lost. I wanna make the changes needed to assign a midi note to each loop and cue button essentially allowing it to be controlled like a drum machine ala MIKE RELM.

Any clues. I have no idea how to use Max but need the functionality to keep working on my new show.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:08 am

Don't sweat it. I already did the necessary changes and uploaded a new build of Maxi-Patch (AO/AV) plus new Max/MSP patches. For now-- just use the standalone app versions. You can dig into the Max/MSP patching at a later time.

The way it now works is that you can assign a range of MIDI notes to select cue/loop points. Start with the bottom note in the range. Enter that note/channel number where it says "cue point select (note)". Enter the range length (to cover all 16 of the cue and loop point choices, range should be 15. To cover fewer than all the cue/loop choices, enter a lower number). Now when you press any note which has a note number greater than or equal to the bottom note in the range which you specified, and which is less than or equal to the bottom note + range length, the appropriate cue or loop point will be triggered.

Example: I'm using an old skool Oxygen 8. The low "C" key on the keyboard sends a note number 48 message on Channel 1. So I enter "48" and "1" next to where it says "cue point select (note)". I set "range" to "15". Now when I press any note between the lowest "C" key and the middle "D-sharp" I get a cue point selection in the range 1 --> 16. Voila! And I can play those cue points like a sampler. Every time I hit a certain key, the file instantly cues to the corresponding cue or loop point.

Hope that works for you :wink:
bizmuth

Post by bizmuth » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:50 am

Hey just wanted to chime in and compliment the latest point release here...... great improvements, I really like the direction things are headed in!

I seem to have encountered a bug that I don't know how to recover from. It started when I installed the Korg Kontrol Editor software. It seems that all the text information in Maxi-Patch AO has disappeared!! All the tabs and windows are blank, as are my pop up windows for parameters and audio files. I'm running Maxi-Patch AO on an OSX86'ed Dell Mini 9. Things were working great for me; I was going through the settings and tweaking things to my liking, when I noticed that you need note messages instead of CC messages to map cue and loop points. At that point I downloaded the Korg Kontrol Editor and installed it. I saved a scene and loaded it, then went back to Maxi-Patch. That's when I found the bug. The audio still works fine, it just seems to be a graphical error.

Any help would be much appreciated!
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:05 am

Bizarre. Can you please post some screen shots?
bizmuth

Post by bizmuth » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:25 am

Sure, I'll post a few screenshots when I get home from work tonight.
bizmuth

Post by bizmuth » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:58 am

In the 3rd pic I've opened the drop folder where all my tracks are. The grey highlighted sections still open tracks and the waveform is visible upon loading, the text however is completely gone. Vinyl control is normal, and the rotating dot is also normal.