Maxi-Patch AO AV version 3.7.4: Cue Mode Control

Topics regarding MsPinky's Maxi-Patch Application
dlpinkstah
Site Admin
Maxi-Patch AO AV version 3.7.4: Cue Mode Control

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:11 pm

Maxi-Patch AO and AV version 3.7.4, and Ms Pinky Max For Live device, now include a new vinyl control mode: cue. Cue mode is a hybrid between relative and absolute modes. With cue mode, when you trigger a cue point and the file re-cues to that location, the position information from the vinyl control disc is automatically adjusted so as to synch to that cue point. This eliminates the problem of sticker drift that can occur when using cue points in relative mode control. It also solves the problem of not being able to properly use cue points in absolute mode. In cue mode, if you lift the needle and move it to another location, your file will still re-cue to that new location, but it will do so relative to the last cue point that you triggered using the cue points interface, either from the software GUI or the MIDI controls.

Version 3.7.4 also includes some fixes to the way loop points work. With this new version, when you enter the loop playing mode, if you are inside the currently selected loop points, playback
will not be interrupted by a shift to the loop start point. Instead, playback will continue normally until you reach the end point of the loop, at which point it will loop back to the loop start. Similarly, when you disable the loop playing mode, it will play all the way through the currently selected loop before exiting the loop and continuing to play the rest of the file. Note: this is only true when you are using either cue mode or relative mode control. If using absolute mode, the playback position will still snap back to the current position of the needle on the control disc whenever you exit loop playing mode.

Another small improvement to this version is the ability to MIDI-map a note on your MIDI control to the tap tempo calculator.

Some general performance improvements with the GUI have also been implemented.

This upgrade is available free to those who have already been assigned a userid and password access to the downloads area of the site. If you do not have a userid and password access to the downloads area, you will need to purchase one or apply for a new one if you have lost yours.
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:52 pm

I'm still wondering how to make a audio2tap for these calculator...

Great news!

;)

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
djnelson

Post by djnelson » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:01 pm

Hi,

I have been playing around with this latest version and the loop fix seems to be working better for me so thanks very much for that.

I uncovered another glitch in the previous release and it is still there...

Error: My scenario is when I'm using the cue points, in relative or cue mode (newly added mode). Once the vinyl runs out / reaches the end of the vinyl track (physical Ms Pinky control vinyl) and the music track (mp3) hasn't ended the song stops. Would it be possible to change this to change to vinyl mode off and give the user the chance to reset the needle to the start of the vinyl and enable the relative / cue mode again.

Are you planning on assigning more midi keys to the loop and cue points?

Thanks
Nelson
djnelson

Possible Audio through error in Maxi-Patch

Post by djnelson » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:35 am

Hi,

I was messing with Maxi-Patch (version 3.7.4) the other night and when I assigned a midi value to "vinyl control on/off" the control wasn't changed to vinyl control off. Also the sound from the control vinyl starts coming through the channel.

Is this midi value meant to change the Audio Through value rather than the control mode? I sometimes use one turn table and would be handy to be able to set the mode from a midi key.

Are there plans for future releases to have more parameters in Maxi-Patch midi assignable. Like the loop and cue points would be very handy.

Also I was thinking again about the creating the loops. If you had midi keys / buttons assigned to the different loop numbers, you could make it easier for the user to create loops on the fly.

I was thinking if the user could press or hold a button to say record mode and then Ms Pinky waits for 2 key presses from the midi key or loop button.

eg:

Code: Select all

User wants to create a 3rd loop.
They click, hold or press record.
Then the user clicks loop 3 in maxi patch or the midi key for loop 3 for the start and end of the loop.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Re: Possible Audio through error in Maxi-Patch

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:10 pm

djnelson wrote: I was messing with Maxi-Patch (version 3.7.4) the other night and when I assigned a midi value to "vinyl control on/off" the control wasn't changed to vinyl control off. Also the sound from the control vinyl starts coming through the channel.

Is this midi value meant to change the Audio Through value rather than the control mode? I sometimes use one turn table and would be handy to be able to set the mode from a midi key.
Thanks for pointing that out. It's a bug and will be fixed soon.
djnelson wrote: Are there plans for future releases to have more parameters in Maxi-Patch midi assignable. Like the loop and cue points would be very handy.
Loop and cue points are currently MIDI-mappable in Maxi-Patch 3.7.4.
Go to the zoomed waveform display (below the file player deck) and hit the "MIDI Map" button...
djnelson wrote: Also I was thinking again about the creating the loops. If you had midi keys / buttons assigned to the different loop numbers, you could make it easier for the user to create loops on the fly.

I was thinking if the user could press or hold a button to say record mode and then Ms Pinky waits for 2 key presses from the midi key or loop button.

eg:

Code: Select all

User wants to create a 3rd loop.
They click, hold or press record.
Then the user clicks loop 3 in maxi patch or the midi key for loop 3 for the start and end of the loop.
Very interesting idea. I agree that it would be good to allow creating loops on the fly using MIDI notes. I'll see if I can cobble something together for upcoming release...
djnelson

Post by djnelson » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:09 pm

Thanks for fixing that bug, I'll test it this week. And thanks for looking into creating loops with midi notes, that will be very handy for me.

About the midi assignable cue points and loops. I have seen it before and could only get one cue point and loop to work at a time by setting the cue and loop bang.

Honestly I never understood the cue / loop point select note. But I looked at it and again and thought if I set cue point select note with a range of 3 should it work this way:

My first cue point is midi note 7 on channel 1.
Then the second cue point will be note 8 on channel 1.
And third cue point will be 9 on channel 1.

Going to try it this week but let me know if my understanding is correct / incorrect.

Thanks
Nelson