trouble communicating with ableton

Topics regarding MsPinky's Maxi-Patch Application
sec-def
trouble communicating with ableton

Post by sec-def » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:39 pm

using ableton live 8.1.1 on a compaq laptop (2ghz 3gb ram windoom 7)
no communication between the programs. i don't see any midi
ports related to the maxi patch on ableton.
so i used this http://nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html to port
the midi between them. i seem to get some sort of signal from the maxi patch to ableton but i have no luck mapping the maxi patch to notes coming from ableton or to map the signal comeing from the mmaxi patch in ableton. the maxi patch appears as if it's not recieving notes from ableton.

i might be doing something basic wrong. i need someone to tun me through the basics. (i have used midi in ableton before but only with generic products like the novation launchpad, which comes with automap to do all the dirty work)

so to send mid back and forth from ableton to the maxi patch i need 4 midi ports right? 1-in 1- out 2- in 2-out
so the basic set up should look like this?
maxi patch using in-1 and out-2
and ableton using in-2 and out-1
?
sec-def

Post by sec-def » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:19 pm

come on guys share your wisdom
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:00 pm

I don't understand why you need to get MIDI notes back from Ableton. What is it in Maxi-Patch that you want to control with these MIDI notes? If you're needing to get MIDI notes into Maxi-Patch from a controller or keyboard, then just make sure the proper drivers for that controller or keyboard are installed, and it should work.
sec-def

Post by sec-def » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:02 pm

i want to controol the maxi patch as a channel inside ableton.
so basiclly mapping simple note actions inside the maxi patch. (play\stop anything you can controll with a single note)
so when i arm that channel inside ableton the notes i'm playing
on my midi controller will be sent to the maxi patch.
that way i don't need to dedicate a controller to the maxi patch.
it willl allso help me deal with the marker drift.
(egg: while using sampler, and the maxi patch to control a filter on it. mapping the sample only up to a point in my midi controller (c1-c3) and using the extra octave to control cues and loops in the maxi patch. now while both track are
armed i could allways bring the marker where i want and hit the cue to re-align it with the sample playing in the maxi patch)