Numark TTX USB with Pinky

Topics regarding MsPinky's Maxi-Patch Application
starzero
Numark TTX USB with Pinky

Post by starzero » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:38 am

Hello,

I am posting this in the Maxi Patch forum even though this is a bit of a generalized question of connectivity. Perhaps it will be clearer in a moment.

I have a Numark TTX USB with the USB connection out to my Macbook Pro (current gen i5 4gb ram Snow Leopard). I have the USB audio driver installed. I understand that a typical setup requires a dedicated hardware DAC, but I wanted to experiment with the usb connection on this deck before doing this. Interestingly, I found that it works well in Maxi Patch AO and AV, but doesn't work at all in Binky Toy. Can anyone tell me why? I guess it's not too terribly important, as I'm finding that Maxi Patch will probably be the most powerful of the two. Will my current setup suffice or will I need to get a DAC to get the most out of Ms Pinky? I also noticed that the error metric in this current setup is about 1 - 2 with the pink records and approximately .8 to 1 with the beefier splatter matter. Any ideas? I have an SC35C Shure (brand new) cartridge at the moment, if that helps to narrow it down.

Thanks!

Paul
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:46 am

The error metric readings you're getting are high. So there is apparently some signal distortion problem in your setup.

Try this: use the line-level output of the turntable to drive the built-in line-level audio input hardware on the MacBook. You can hook that up with a simple audio cable adapter. Make sure the input signal level is not too high so that signal clipping / distortion doesn't occur. You can adjust the input signal level in OSX System Preferences --> Sound --> Input --> Line In.