Maxi Patch locking up when spinning back past EOF

Topics regarding MsPinky's Maxi-Patch Application
monosylabik
Maxi Patch locking up when spinning back past EOF

Post by monosylabik » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:20 am

Whenever I let the control vinyl spin past the end of an audio file and spin back into the file, Ms Pinky locks up, quitting shows that it's not responding in the Force Quit window, and Activity Monitor shows it using 100% CPU. Unfortunately I checked and it doesn't give a Crash Log if I force quit it. I just tried reproducing it and seems like it locks up right when the vinyl position goes from silence into the file, before that I can see the control velocity moving properly.

I'm on a MBP 2.4 GHz pre unibody with Snow Leopard 10.6.8.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:22 pm

OOh. That's ugly. :cry:

Which mode of vinyl control are you using when it happens?
monosylabik

Post by monosylabik » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:20 am

Happens using absolute mode. I haven't had a chance to check with the other modes, but I'll do so ASAP, I'll let you know what I find.
monosylabik

Post by monosylabik » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:38 am

Just did some testing. It happens with all three vinyl control modes, but I did find it just happens with MP3s. I tried a few from different sources (encoded by myself through iTunes and downloaded) and they all lock up Ms Pinky as soon as the spinning back reaches the end of the audio file, before that you can see the vinyl velocity work properly. Tried the same with a few AIFFs and they do work properly.

Also, I found that in absolute and cue mode I can let the vinyl play past the EOF, pick up the needle, put it somewhere in the middle of the track and it'll still play properly. I'm guessing it's something about having to play the ending of an MP3 backwards that's making Pinky crash.
monosylabik

Post by monosylabik » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:55 am

I just found it locking up Ms Pinky like this seems to lock up all audio going out through its selected output device. Tested this with the internal soundcard. If I make it crash while playing something off another app (iTunes, Safari, QT, VLC) all audio going out the internal soundcard will be muted while Pinky is locked up, though you can see the other apps still playing, and sound resumes as soon as I force quit Pinky.

Tried plugging my Ultralite, setting the internal soundcard as Ms Pinky's output and the Ultralite as the computer's main out from Audio Midi Setup. Ran some audio out the Ultralite, then made Pinky crash. Sound still comes out the Ultralite, but if I change the computer's main out back to the internal soundcard, I still don't get sound off it until I force quit Ms Pinky.