Loud signal in file player when not controlled by vinyl

Post by strontiumDog » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:36 am

Hail

Right, I'm on
a Mac Book Pro unibody 17" i7/8Gb
traktor audio 6
1 x SL1210 with a stanton discmaster II cartridge
allen & heath xone 62

I have SL1210 outs to ins 3 and 4 on the TA6 and the corresponding outs to ch 4 on the mixer. I have a separate phono pair from out 5&6 on the TA6 going to ch 5 on the mixer.

In Maxi-Patch AV, I pull in two tracks into the audio file player (L, R) and configured the audio to run the left side out of outs 3 and 4 of the audio card and outs 5 and 6 for the right side. Left is controlled by the 1210 using gen 4 vinyl (and I've got the Sig Power Thresh at -10 to avoid big distortion). The wav in the Right audio deck of Maxi-Patch is coming out into channel 5 on the mixer but it's hitting with big distortion. I don't have the availability to change the signal power thresh as i'm not using vinyl to control the right side.

All the Maxi-Path R is doing is playing a backing track for me to scratch the video/audio of the L side.

I'm experienced with Max/MSP and Jitter, but new to Ms. Pinky products.
Anyone know how I can reduce the R distortion when only using Maxi-Patch as a file player? When I run the sys out from the laptop into channel 3 on the mixer I can scratch with that as a backing track but it's more convenient to only have maxi-patch on the go rather than using some system audio file player.

Any help is wicked.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:46 am

Can you post a screen shot of the main window of Maxi-Patch? Specifically the audio crossfader section in between the two audio file player decks. It sounds like you just need to reduce the volume level of the audio player decks using the vertical sliders in the crossfader section.
monosylabik

Post by monosylabik » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:05 pm

Make sure you're connecting your soundcard outs to the Line inputs of your mixer, not the Phono ins, as these will raise considerably the input you feed them, and if it's line level it'll give you horrible distortion.

Using a 1200 and a Traktor Audio 6, my Signal Power Treshold sits at -48 dB working perfectly. At -10 dB your control signal is probably bringing your file's level down, that's why you're not getting distortion when using the control vinyl, but you do when letting the file play on its own.
strontiumDog

Post by strontiumDog » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:07 am

I'll post a screen shot when i get back home, but i think monosylabik's suggestion sound right - i think i've plugged the outs from the TA6 into phono ins for outs 5&6. i'll check this out and report back.

Thanks for the help. As mentioned, wicked.
strontiumDog

Post by strontiumDog » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:12 am

monosylabik - you were spot on. thanks for the suggestion.
it didn;t help that i'm new to video scratching and don't DJ, but once i'd got back to the point, i switched to line ins and it's all working fine now. all i need to do is learn to scratch. .
monosylabik

Post by monosylabik » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:52 pm

Awesome! Had that happen once when setting up. It's funny how one overlooks the easiest solutions when troubleshooting.

If you're looking for tutorials and the like, I suggest you start at http://www.studioscratches.com/.