Mac issues

Topics regarding MsPinky's Maxi-Patch Application
gregnolle
Mac issues

Post by gregnolle » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:27 pm

Hey everyone!

Just bought myself a Ms. Pinky set along with a Maya 44 USB sound card, but I'm having big problems getting it to work with my iBook. Everything seems fine using a PC with the same setup, but the Mac version of MaxiPatch is just not working for me.

Firstly, I can't drag a folder onto the space where it says to do so. Dragging individual MP3 files onto the track windows works though. I can live with this, but I thought I'd mention it.

Secondly, and much more importantly, the "more" buttons just don't work at all (nothing happens) and crutially, I just can't get the software to recognise the vinyls, or indeed output anything (even with vinyl control switched off).

Since I was having no luck with MaxiPatch, I thought I'd try out the new version of Neuromixer, which includes Ms. Pinky support. This works fine! I'd leave it at that and use Neuromixer if it weren't for the fact that it doesn't seem to support absolute positioning.

Some further info on my setup: iBook G4 1.2GHz, 512MB RAM running a fresh install of OS X 10.3.9.

Any ideas?

Greg.

P.S. When I load up MaxiPatch after setting the audio settings, I get a load of errors in the status window talking about being unable to fragload jsui, or something like that. Dunno if that helps...
gregnolle

Post by gregnolle » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:50 pm

Here's an update:

After some random fiddling I somehow managed to get MaxiPatch to work, sort of...it will now recognise the deck plugged into channels 1-2, but it uses this for both decks in MaxiPatch, i.e. the one deck controls both tracks. Whatever I do to the settings, I can't get it to recognise the second deck at all. In fact, changing the settings so that both decks are on channels 3-4 makes no difference -- it still uses channels 1-2!!

Also, the "more" button still does nothing and the jsui errors still show in the status window.

Interestingly, Binky toy works fine with the exception that it doesn't do absolute positioning, even though I told it to. It only ever uses relative positioning.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

What version of Maxi-Patch?

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:49 am

What version of Maxi-Patch are you using? You can find this either in the top/center of the main window, or under the "About Maxi-Patch" pulldown..
djone37

Re: What version of Maxi-Patch?

Post by djone37 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:03 am

dlpinkstah wrote:What version of Maxi-Patch are you using? You can find this either in the top/center of the main window, or under the "About Maxi-Patch" pulldown..

Yeah maybe its the G3 version... instead of the G4!!!
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Several things to check

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:12 am

0) First of all, I must apologize. I included the wrong library when making the build of Maxi-Patch 3.5 for OSX that was on the downloads page. I've made a new build and uploaded it now. Please download Maxi-Patch 3.5 for OSX again.... Sorry!

1) The first thing to check in your setup is the input levels of the Maya 44, which by default are set way too hot, thus causing the input signal from the vinyl to be distorted and unrecognizable to the vinyl tracking algorithms. To set the input levels appropriately, open the "Maya44 Control Panel" application and put a normal music record on your turntable and play it through your system (using, for example, the "audio thru" option in the Maxi-Patch audio file players). Adjust the input levels until the music playing through your system sounds "normal", i.e. not too loud, not distorted, and not too soft. If you're unable to achieve settings which will make the music playing through the system sound "right", then there's some other signal quality problem with your setup (a dirty or worn-out needle, a bad connection somewhere, an ungrounded turntable, etc. etc...)

By the way-- BinkyToy definitely does do absolute position cueing. Probably the reason in wouldn't work for you when you tried is because of your input levels on the Maya being set too hot. Just bring those levels down some to get rid of the overdrive distortion and the absolute position cueing should work great.

2) The second thing to check is: Which application did you use to un-zip the Maxi-Patch archive that you downloaded? If you used Stuffit Expander, that could be causing the component files of the app to be getting horribly screwed up. PLEASE NEVER USE STUFFIT EXPANDER on anything you download from MsPinky. Please always use the built-in OSX unzip utility instead.
cb shaw

Stuffit expander issue

Post by cb shaw » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:42 am

Hey, I'm sure this is a question that has been answered elsewhere before... but how to you "turn off" Stuffit Expander as the default program when downloading Ms Pinky's programs? It seems like my OS uses it by default.

Thanks,

-cb
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Use BOMArchiveHelper.app

Post by dlpinkstah » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:56 pm

Instead of Stuffit use the "BOMArchiveHelper.app" which is built-in to OSX. To use it to unzip the archive, just find the archive file in the finder, select it, and do a control-click on it to bring up a pop-up menu. In that menu you should find "open with...." and a list should appear that has "BOMArchiveHelper.app" as one of the choices.

Otherwise, you can find BOMArchiveHelper in System/Library/CoreServices/.
cb shaw

Post by cb shaw » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:34 pm

cool. thanks for the info! my problem is that stuffit automatically un-stuffs the file immediately after downloading. is this a preference that i can turn off somewhere?