Problems learning how to use maxipatch

Topics regarding MsPinky's Maxi-Patch Application
jriles
Problems learning how to use maxipatch

Post by jriles » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:20 am

I just got my ms pinky set up and I'm having trouble figuring out how to set it up properly. In maxipatch I get a signal from the record, but I can't seen to get the record to control the video. Is there any longer manuals out there. Bacsically I'm wondering what is the best way to learn how to use these progams, becasue I can't seem to figure it out. thanks for your time
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Can you scratch audio with the vinyl?

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:00 am

The first step is to be able to scratch an audio file with the Ms Pinky vinyl. Have you been able to do that yet?
jriles

moving along

Post by jriles » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:54 am

ok, I basically got binky toy to work, the only thing with that is that, I have both sides set up the same way, except one side moves the place in the song according to where I put the neddle, and the otherside doesn't, it just stayes in the same spot, no matter where I put the neddle.

And on Maxi-patch, I can scratch the audio, but both sides have the problem just mentioned, and I can only control the video when I sync it to the music, and even then, it seems like it is skipping a lot a Frames. thanks for your time.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Which audio converter do you have? Describe your system.

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:57 am

Which audio converter are you using?

And please also list a complete description of your system including make/model of turntables, cartridges, audio converter, computer (CPU Speed, RAM, OS), mixer, and how they connect to each other.

I would guess that since you're unable to use absolute mode position tracking on one of your decks that you have some kind of signal quality problem with the Ms Pinky signal coming from that deck.
jriles

set up

Post by jriles » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:22 pm

sorry, I ment to post my set up: AL powerbook g4, 1.5GHz, 1gig Ram, RMERPM, 1200's, Ecler Hak 320, and Ortofon Pro Concorde, but I am going to order the m44-7's because the metric level was showing 2 and above. Also the connectors on the tone arm are a little rusty (which I was going to try and clean) , but if I lick the end of the connectors on the neddle, I can eventually get a good signal, at least that's what it shows on the hammerfall DSP mixer. Sometimes though either the right or left channel will be just a little bit less in volume. I've realized that Ortofon did not make there connectors to perfectly match up with the 1200's, I don't why they did that? Thanks again for your help, I can tell that once I get all this figured out it's going to be awesome!
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

RME RPM Driver problems

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:49 pm

Some time ago there was a problem with the RME RPM drivers such that on the inputs, a 1-sample delay was introduced by the hardware between the left and right channels. Needless to say, this 1-sample delay between left and right on the inputs causes havoc inside the Ms Pinky vinyl tracking software. So one thing you should do right away is to get the latest & greatest drivers for the RPM from the RME Hammerfall website.

Basically, your current setup should be resulting in error metrics much lower than 2.0. You should be in the range 0.1 - 0.2, even without M44-7's and even with the imperfect connection.

Another thing to check is the input gain settings for both pairs of input signals (1&2 and 3&4). The Hammerfall DSP settings app should allow you to select the input gains. Make sure they're set to something appropriate so the signal doesn't get over-driven.
jriles

new results

Post by jriles » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:23 am

ok, I didn't have the newest drivers, but now I do. In binky toy it's basically the same, I can get one side to work fine, and now the metric reading for that side is like .1 or .2, the otherside still dosn't work with the position right. I'm running both in MP-3: Absolute. The side that doesn't work right is showing a metric reading of .8 or .9 and there is this weird noise when the needle is not touching the record, like a gurgling noise or something, and now I can't really get maxi-patch to work at all. So, you think the ortofons are fine, I don't need to get the sure's?
jriles

Post by jriles » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:27 am

actually both sides do the gurgling noise
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

You still don't have a proper signal.

Post by dlpinkstah » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:34 am

You apparently still don't have a proper signal coming into the software. You said in a previous post that the cartridge head connectors on your 1200's were rusty or corroded or something.

That is definitely one thing to check!!!! You have to get some steel wool or something and make sure those connectors are completely clean and making proper contact.

If they are, both left and right signal levels coming into the software should be approximately equal (not exactly).

The fact that you say they are off from each other probably means you've still got a bad connection somewhere.

How about the ground cables from your turntables? Are they grounded to the RME RPM lug nut?

And what "buffer size" setting are you using? It should be like 128 or 256.

To lower your error metric there are 3 things I always try first.

1) Be sure that you have selected "Generation 3" vinyl in the software. A high

error metric could be due to not selecting the correct vinyl generation.

2) A useful and easy test that I often use to diagnose problems with a Ms Pinky system is to play a normal music

record through the software and just listen for distortion. If everything is setup properly you should be able to

set "Group1 Off" and "Group2 Off" under the Vinyl Demod tab (in BinkyToy). Then be sure to go to the "Group1 In" and "Group 2 In"

tabs and turn all volume sliders to their maximum value. You should begin to hear the sound from the record

play through BinkyToy to the outputs of your RME RPM.

If you're using Maxi-Patch, just select the "audio thru" option in each of the audio file player regions to hear the signal as it enters the software.

The normal music record playing thru Binky Toy (or Maxi-Patch) should sound absolutely normal: i.e. no distortion,

proper level, proper EQ, etc. etc. You may just need to lower the input gain on the RME because you may

be clipping the signal. Sometimes that happens when you drive a sensitive audio converter with a signal that's

too hot. The tendency is to want to crank the sensitivity on the audio converter inputs

all the way up, but this actually ends up distorting your signal.

3) Start up the "Hammerfall DSP Settings.app" control panel application for the RME. Set the input gains to their MINIMUM value for now.

Let me know if (1), (2), or (3) corrects the problem. With the new M-447's, good turntables and a high quality audio converter

you should be getting error metrics no higher than about 0.2.

regards,

Scott
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

More about the RME RPM

Post by dlpinkstah » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:50 pm

Just busted out my RME RPM here and am using it with Ms Pinky.

I downloaded the latest drivers and firmware updates from rme-audio.com.

These new drivers seem to be working great.

So, here are some useful things to check:

1) Open the "Hammerfall DSP Mixer" application. Check the levels on the sliders at the top

labeled "In 1/2/3/4". Those should all be set to there minimum values. Otherwise, the tones

from the Ms Pinky vinyl (which you don't want to hear) will bleed through to the output and

sound real nasty. So kill the levels on "In 1/2/3/4".

You should be able to accomplish this just by hitting the 1st Preset button.. in the section labeled

"Presets" at the far right -- Hit "1".

2) Now open the "Hammerfall DSP Settings" application. Click on "About". it should tell you that you

are running Max OSX driver version 1.5. Now hit the "RPM" tab. Under "Input 1/2" and "Input 3/4" make

settings of "Phono -6 dB". It seems that setting the "Input 1/2/3/4" levels to either "Phono 0 dB" or "Phono +6dB"

will OVERDRIVE the inputs and cause clipping, distortion, and nastiness to the Ms Pinky control signal.

Set those both to "Phono -6 dB".

OK- hope this makes sense.