Maxi-Patch 3.6.4 (beta) -- Universal Binary for OSX

Topics regarding MsPinky's Maxi-Patch Application
dlpinkstah
Site Admin
Maxi-Patch 3.6.4 (beta) -- Universal Binary for OSX

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:13 am

Maxi-Patch 3.6.4 (beta) is now available for download to all members of Ms Pinky's Fan Club.

The most notable new "feature" of this version is that it comes in "Universal Binary" form so that it can run natively on either PPC- or Intel-based Macs running OSX Tiger 10.4 or later.

For those of you running older Macs, and especially if you're running a version of OSX prior to 10.4, this new version is not for you. We urge you to upgrade to Tiger OSX 10.4.X as soon as possible because we will no longer be supporting older versions of OSX.

Please note: You can transfer the settings you'd previously made in your older versions of Maxi-Patch to the new version 3.6.4. All you need to do is copy three files, as explained in the handy-dandy README file that is included in the download.

IMPORTANT: This is BETA software, so it may have bugs we haven't yet been able to find or fix.
gmint

Post by gmint » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:15 pm

Great news on the UB! I downloaded it and tested it out today. I was just wondering, are you wanting comments and bug reports on the beta, or do you have other channels in place for that? I've noticed a few things in the few hours that I've been using it...
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Please post bug reports "thoroughly"

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:28 pm

I'm sure there will be plenty of bugs to work through.

Please post here what you encounter in testing the new version. But when you do post, please give as thorough as possible a description of your system (everything: including turntables, mixer, pre-amps, your computer, whatever) and the problem you encounter and exactly how the situation arises.. :wink: Thanks.
jkriss

Post by jkriss » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:24 am

Very cool. Can we expect the individual Max objects soon, too?
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:26 am

Believe it or not, until now everything is working fine :)

THANKS! :D
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Kickin' down the UB for all to see

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:11 am

Andrew-- Thanks for the positive post. Glad to hear the UB be mo-less doin' as she spose-ta.

Jesse Kriss! Good to see you on the forum. Your UB externals be red-ta-go. Ms P. be kickin down da UB for all to see... :roll:
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:38 pm

Ok I think there is one thing that's not working yet and that's calculating waveforms ;)

You can't drag a folder on the window, it just doesn't react...

But besides that... EXCELLENT :D
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

which window is that?

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:28 pm

Andrew-

Which window do you say doesn't react when you drag a folder? Is it the "Batch Waveform process" window?
gmint

Post by gmint » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:13 pm

Andrew wrote:Ok I think there is one thing that's not working yet and that's calculating waveforms ;)

You can't drag a folder on the window, it just doesn't react...

But besides that... EXCELLENT :D

Yep, that's exactly the behavior that I'm seeing as well. Also, I can't even get a single track to analyze completely. It looks like it's happening, but it just hangs at the end.

I'm on a MacBook 2Ghz/2Gig RAM/80 Gig HD/Firewire Audiophile
Andrew

Re: which window is that?

Post by Andrew » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:44 pm

dlpinkstah wrote:Andrew-

Which window do you say doesn't react when you drag a folder? Is it the "Batch Waveform process" window?

Yes, I thought that's the only way to analyse a track. Is there another?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

shift-click on the waveform display

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:58 pm

There are two ways:

1) When the file has loaded into the audio file player region, shift-click on the smaller of the waveform display views (the one that is directly underneath the filter graph).

2) Use the Batch Waveform calculation window. Drop a folder onto the section at the top where it says "drag folders containing....".

Both of these should work. If not, we've got some fixin' to do... :wink:
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:34 am

Ok I tried the other way now too and here's what happens:

The progress bar goes up to 100% and stops. Screenshot:

http://silenceisdefeat.org/~frttwo/Maxi-Patch_Bug1.jpg

If I now click on PLAY:

http://silenceisdefeat.org/~frttwo/Maxi-Patch_Bug2.jpg

I am on a MacBook 1.83 / 1,25GB RAM / OS X 10.4.7

EDIT: I now found out that you NEVER see a waveform in the UB version, even when you calculated it with the old PPC version...
Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:23 pm

Hmm looks like I got a gig on friday, can you perhaps try to fix the waveform thing until that date? :lol:

I really need it :cry:

But I don't want to push you now, just wanted to tell you that this is perhaps the first thing you should check... no problem if you don't have time ;)
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Looks like you're in luck...

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:38 am

A new build of Maxi-Patch_3.6.4 (AO and AV versions) for OSX has been uploaded. This new build is Universal Binary (Intel-compatible), and features two important bug fixes:

1) Waveforms for audio files will now be displayed and calculated as they should. This includes shift-clicking on the waveform display to calculate it, or using the Batch Waveform Calculator.

2) Folder drop regions will now properly receive the folders you drag onto them. This comes into play both in the file/folder selection regions, and also in the Batch Waveform Calculation window.

Some additional optimizations to the audio processing code also make it run slightly more efficiently, with the result that your video framerates can be a bit higher with this version.