URGENT: Low Frame Rate issues

Topics regarding MsPinky's Maxi-Patch Application
Robotkid
URGENT: Low Frame Rate issues

Post by Robotkid » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:48 am

Hi Pinkstah,

I've got a gig Wednesday night, and could really use some asap tech support!!!

I'm getting unpredictable frame rates ranging from 12-20fps on the following Mac setup:

Macbook 2ghz, 2g Ram

Osx 10.4.7

U46DJ

Maxipatch 3.6.4 OR 3.6.3

Clips: Quicktime mjpg 50%

Audio: 441k 16bit stero

With these same clips and U46DJ on our G5, with only 512 ram, we are getting a consistant 25-30fps.

If we just load the video clips, we get 30fps full screen. As soon as we drag audio into the audio windows, and turn on vinyl control, the frame rate drops down to 12-20fps. :(

Any ideas we can try? Time is running short...

Thanks,

Robotkid
djrndm

yeah

Post by djrndm » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:13 pm

im having the same issues with a similar setup... I think it's something with the coding and/or the U46DJ. i hope theres a fix... this low framerate is no deal.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

some things to try

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:31 am

Some things that might help:

1) To get the highest framerate possible, always make sure that the boxes labeled "zoom/rotate" and "bri/con/sat" are OFF (un-checked).

2) Use only the mix modes that have "GL" in the name ... (chroma-GL, xfade-GL, etc..) because those mix modes are executed mostly on the graphics accelerator card.

3) Use the smallest pixel size movies that you can use. If you can get away with 320x240, your framerate will be higher than if you're playing clips that are 720 x 480.

4) Use movies that are in PHOTO-JPEG format because this is the easiest for the processor to decode. And NEVER use movies that are optimized for INTERNET STREAMING. These will usually play much slower in Maxi-Patch, and are not at all good for scratching.

5) In Audio Settings, increase the "I/O Vector Size" and the "Signal Vector Size". Both of these should be set equal to each other. The higher the value of these settings, the higher the audio latency will be. But it may be worth sacrificing some latency to get a higher video framerate.

6) And of course, don't run any other applications at the same time.
djrndm

results after the new update:

Post by djrndm » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:41 am

Ive tried it all...

1-All OFF

2-Using GL Mix Modes

3-Smallest pixels: 320x240 25fps 441khz audio

4-PhotoJPEGB

5-Adjust to both 256 and 512 (from 128)

6-0 Other Applications

Here's my process:

I open Pinky with the U46 on and selected in my sound prefs.

I open Maxi Patch and I have about a 35fps average with nothing running.

I active the Vinyl Control for each side (with Video synched to Audio) and my input drops to 25fps.

Levels for signal input are good and I start one record scratching- result: 18-21 fps. Then I start the other table and drop down to about 14-16fps.

I dont know what else I can do? Anything more advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:19 am

OK, check the new version (3.6.5). You should be able to achieve higher output video framerates now:

http://www.mspinky.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=495