I have RTFMed and still have issues ... can you help?

Topics regarding MsPinky's Maxi-Patch Application
tony.bar
I have RTFMed and still have issues ... can you help?

Post by tony.bar » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:59 pm

Hi, I have a MacBook 1.86/2gb mem/Motu Ultralite/behringer pre amp/vestax mixer and I'm using the Maxi AO patch.

I've got the Maxi Patch up and I'm running the Pinky record on one turntable only for now.

I've got this turntable set up on input 3-4 and output 3-4. I'm definitely getting a signal to the mixer, I can actually hear the Pinky vinyl coming thru the monitors (makes a wheeee-ooooooo noise), but it will not seem to control the MP3s I load into the patch, neither starting nor stopping them.

I've selected gen 4, not sure about using relative mode or absolute mode though I've tried both with the same results.

I've made sure to have vinyl controls set and the audio thru is turned off.

I tried setting the input/output channels to override and I assume that means to use the values at the bottom of the audio settings preferences instead of input 1/2 output 1/2?

Any ideas to try next?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Check the I/O Mappings

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:20 am

It sounds like you may have a problem with your I/O Mappings. Near the bottom of the audio settings window in maxi-patch is a button labeled "I/O Mappings". Clicking that will bring up a control panel where you can set the mappings of the device's physical input/output channels to virtual I/O channels within Maxi-Patch. As an example, I've posted a screenshot here:

My system:

Macbook Pro 2.0 GHz, 2.0 Gig RAM.
MOTU 828 "original"
Vestax PMC-07 Pro ISP -- modified to allow using built-in preamps to drive a line-level audio device input.

I'm also using input channels 3&4 of the MOTU for my first turntable. I'm using input channels 7&8 of the MOTU for the second turntable. Output channel pairs are 3&4 and 7&8.

In the "more" settings panel (the reverse of the audio file player deck panel) you should see two little vertical signal strength meters. If you've got everything hooked up right, and your audio settings are all correct, then you should see a nice healthy signal level on both channels (see above picture). When you set the vinyl demodulators to absolute mode, you should also see the error metric values similar to the ones in the picture above (range 0.05 -- 0.25).
tony.bar

Post by tony.bar » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:47 pm

That fixed it, I had to change the mapping of output 3/4 to 5/6 and 5/6 to 7/8 but now I am up and running.

Thanks!