Loading audio + video files using MIDI notes

Topics regarding MsPinky's Maxi-Patch Application
dlpinkstah
Site Admin
Loading audio + video files using MIDI notes

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:27 pm

Inside the little file/folder selection boxes (in the middle of Maxi-Patch main window), press the little "MIDI" button. A new view will appear. This is for mapping MIDI note values to file/folder selections. To enable MIDI, press "MIDI enable". Now when you press any note on your MIDI devices, you should see the note number and the channel appear in the little boxes labeled "note" and "channel".

The way the video clips are assigned to the notes on your MIDI keyboard is by the order in which they appear in the folder where they are stored on your hard drive. This order is according to the alphanumeric value of the name of the file. You can know the order in which they will be mapped by going to the Finder (OSX) or Explorer (WinXP) and looking
at the folder where they are stored using the "List" view. Also, you can drag the folder to the file/folder selection box (main view) and it will appear in the menus.

You can select a note on your MIDI keyboard that selects the first file in any folder. This is done by entering values for "first file select (note):" in the order NOTE, CHANNEL.

You can also select the number of files in the folder which will be assigned to MIDI notes by entering a number in the "number of notes in span" box. If you have 20 keys on your MIDI keyboard which are not mapped to other functions, then enter the value "20" into this box. Enter the Note and Channel number of the first of these 20 keys into the "first file select (note):" boxes. But if your keyboard has 64 keys, put in "64" to this box. That way you could conceivably map 64 different video clips to 64 different keys on your keyboard.

Now, when you select a certain folder in this file/folder selection box, you will see that the contents of the folder appear in the menu below the folder menu. If there are N movie files in the folder, then you can map each of these N files to a MIDI key, starting with the MIDI note number you selected in "first file select (note):", and going sequentially in note number up to (starting_note + N-1).

You can select two other notes on your MIDI keyboard to change the movie file selection from the left movie player to the right movie player, etc...

It's really very easy once you get used to it. And keep in mind the same applies to both audio and video files.

Another little feature of this MIDI mapping is that if you hit a certain note and it loads a certain file, when you repeatedly hit that same note, the file is rewound to the beginning (so you don't have to press that little "|<" button....).
The Phat Conductor

Post by The Phat Conductor » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:54 pm

best.

feature.

ever.

i was going to have to use racks in ableton with pinky pluggo to do this, but now i've just got a little iac bus action swapping a/v samples by automation.

made a midi note to call up the video window with apple-tab and now every time i need a talking head it's right there, just like i wanted!

you sir, deserve a medal!
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:26 am

Check BOME midi translator! do the same with control commands such space, backspace, control and so on... and can make key strokes like crtl+a or 1,2,3,4 clicking one midi button. Also can do strokes of midi message: you play one note but it sends a chord

;D

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
jackonaut

minor issue

Post by jackonaut » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:53 pm

hey, i've gotten this working with one exception. i have it set up to trigger video clips that i intend to scratch, so i have the video set to 'sync to audio file'. i load the video and audio using the same key on the controller, but when i press the key more than once or switch between clips, the audio doesn't start back at the beginning (as if i were to press the |< button), but rather continues where the last clip left off. why is this and how can i fix it?

thanks!
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:10 am

If you give attention on bome at assign midi controller tab, you could see that when you press the key send one cc value and when you leave the key send another cc value (00) (FF)

You could assign diferent functions because they are two different cc, in this manner maybe you could assign to press = Load; leave = backstart or something else.

Scrubbing is the most difficult concept to assign in my point of view...

;)

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms