Not playing with certain MP3'S

Topics regarding MsPinky's Maxi-Patch Application
saad
Not playing with certain MP3'S

Post by saad » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:30 am

hey all

With certain MP3's, Maxi patch refuses to play them. I get the bang message, and in the log window, it just keeps scrolling and saying "too much recursion, line 455".

Its not applicable to any type of MP3. Its not a certain bitrate, or source, or anything. There is no artwork. If i convert it to wav, it works, but I dont have the disc space or time to do that.

So any ideas?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

use iTunes to transcode to new mp3

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:29 pm

What I do with mp3's that Maxi-Patch won't handle is to transcode them into a new mp3 using iTunes. Generally speaking, all mp3 created using iTunes should work with Maxi-Patch. To transcode into new mp3, just load in all the mp3 that Maxi-Patch can't play into a special playlist inside iTunes. Then, select all the bad mp3 and choose from the "Advanced" pull-down menu the option "Convert Selection to MP3". It should then do them all at once for you.
taggalucci

Post by taggalucci » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:45 am

At the moment, about 30% of some of my recent mp3s won't play with the same "bang" shown in the song name text box.

I have tried what dlpinkstah suggests i.e. creating a playlist in iTunes and converting the selection to mp3. But still, not one of these will play.

I would like to better understand why it is challenging for Maxi Patch to play these when they will play fine in every other media player.

Out of interest, converting them to a mov in Quicktime will allow these to play, but that's not ideal.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:18 pm

please email me one of the problem mp3's that won't play so I can figure out why.... or post one somewhere I can download it. All my mp3's work fine with the program.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

NO album arwork, please!

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:40 pm

Please also remove album artwork from all mp3's that you want to load into Maxi-Patch. Eventually I'll have a fix so that we can reliably read mp3's with the inserted artwork, but for now you'll need to get rid of that in order to reliably load mp3's into the program.
taggalucci

Post by taggalucci » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:59 pm

Hi

Thanks for the swift reply.

Removing the artwork solved the issue for all the files I have tried so far.

Thanks again :)
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:13 am

Well I'm glad to hear that. I apologize if you were especially attached to the album artwork. Perhaps in an upcoming version we can find a way to extract the pictures and mix them with video... :wink:
kbooms1w

Post by kbooms1w » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:23 am

Just to add to the list of problematic mp3s, I was converting some files tonight and found that encoding them at 48 khz (which I wasn't even trying to do), instead of 44.1 khz gave Pinky VST fits, very garbled, terrible reading of the waveform.

Encoded them at 44.1 khz and no problems, even at 320 kpbs.
djpash

same problem...

Post by djpash » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:45 pm

I'm having similar issues with maxipatchAO, I've tried removing the album artwork...didn't work. Going to try and batch re-encode them...

I really hope this resolves the issue...almost half of my collection isn't loading up :(
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:55 pm

It would really help if you can email to me, or put someplace on a server for download, some of these mp3's that are problematic. As I said previously, all of my current collection is loading and playing fine for me. If I don't have some of the ones that won't load then I can't fix the problem.
honeo

Post by honeo » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:18 am

it could not be so hard to "ignore" the header of the mp3 while reading the file, don't konw if your only using max for te app. but with c or c++ it's not so difficult to read the header an just loading the audio into a buffer, would be great if trhe artwork could be extracted
djpash

Post by djpash » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:37 pm

dlpinkstah wrote:It would really help if you can email to me, or put someplace on a server for download, some of these mp3's that are problematic. As I said previously, all of my current collection is loading and playing fine for me. If I don't have some of the ones that won't load then I can't fix the problem.
I'll try to batch re-encode them from itunes first and let you know if that fixes it.

If that doesn't work...I'll email one of the 'bad' ones to you.

BTW I'm working with maxipatch AO.

Thanks.
djpash

what am I doing wrong?

Post by djpash » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:56 am

honeo wrote:it could not be so hard to "ignore" the header of the mp3 while reading the file, don't konw if your only using max for te app. but with c or c++ it's not so difficult to read the header an just loading the audio into a buffer, would be great if trhe artwork could be extracted
robsoul boy - instrumental hangs the batch converter and jacobino cant be played in maxipatchAO whatsoever, dragging it from a folder nor selecting it from the drop down does anything...

Please help.

The only thing I can think of that I did wrong during the whole setup...was that I installed quicktime AFTER runnint maxipatch for the first time...I don't think this could pose a problem, but you never know.

Any tips or advice is appreaciated...

find the tracks here...

http://pashtek.fun-in-the-murky.com/aud ... %20Mix.mp3

http://pashtek.fun-in-the-murky.com/aud ... %20Mix.mp3

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:44 am

You must be using the Winblows PC version. Both of these files load and play perfectly on the mac OSX version just as they are. I guess this means I have some more debugging to do on the PC version. However, even on the PC I just found that re-encoding as MP3 using iTunes creates a new MP3 that loads and plays just fine. So is there a reason you won't use iTunes to re-encode your MP3 that won't work? iTunes is a free, and very easy-to-use program. It should be a very easy way to work around this bug (temporarily) until I can (hopefully) fix it for you Windoze people.

In the future, when you post a bug report, please be sure to provide a full description of your system.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:34 am

I should also point out that both of these files will load and play perfectly in Pinky VST, both OSX and Winblows. So the bug is apparently in my Max/MSP interface code. Should be able to fix pretty easily.