wvf file pc / mac incompatibility?

Topics regarding MsPinky's Maxi-Patch Application
Suburban
wvf file pc / mac incompatibility?

Post by Suburban » Sun Nov 07, 2004 6:37 pm

I used Maxi Patch AO for Windows to batch process a bunch of songs on an external firewire hard drive.

I then hooked the drive up to my Mac to run Ms Pinky. I was dissapointed to see that the 200-some files i processed on my PC weren't readible by my OSX version of Ms Pinky. Ms Pinky didn't pick up the wave forms at all...

has anyone else had this problem?

-Suburban
-Suburban

beatmatrix.net
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

mea culpa

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:23 am

I know exactly why that is-- it turns out I very stupidly wrote the code for the waveform reading/writing such that the header information inside each .wvf file is stored as 32-bit integers. Doh! Unfortunately, the storage of 32-bit integers is broken down into four 8-bit chunks (bytes) which are written to the file in the order 1-2-3-4 on the Mac and 4-3-2-1 on the PC. This means .wvf files created on the PC won't be compatible with the Mac. I deserve to be fired for this one -- doh! :oops:

I will try to think of a solution which does not require you to re-calculate all those .wvf files... but this will have to wait for a future release. Sorry!
A Kern

Post by A Kern » Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:26 pm

While I generally don't like embedding more info than necesary inside an mp3 file, in this case I think it could be really helpfull to store

the waveform calculation inside the mp3 file as an id3 tag. This way we would have less clutter (additional files) in our music collection.
blancodisco

Post by blancodisco » Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:32 pm

A Kern wrote:While I generally don't like embedding more info than necesary inside an mp3 file, in this case I think it could be really helpfull to store

the waveform calculation inside the mp3 file as an id3 tag. This way we would have less clutter (additional files) in our music collection.

I second the notion. embedded in the mp3 file would be mo better, and i guess, external files for those .wav and .aiff files.
--

benny blanco∆

http://blancodisco.com
Suburban

Re: mea culpa

Post by Suburban » Sat Nov 13, 2004 9:36 pm

dlpinkstah wrote:Unfortunately, the storage of 32-bit integers is broken down into four 8-bit chunks (bytes) which are written to the file in the order 1-2-3-4 on the Mac and 4-3-2-1 on the PC. This means .wvf files created on the PC won't be compatible with the Mac.

...I will try to think of a solution which does not require you to re-calculate all those .wvf files... but this will have to wait for a future release. Sorry!

hmmm...rats... Thanks for working on the issue though : )

to make up for it, you can make a cool ms pinky dock icon...i'm still waiting for one ; )
-Suburban

beatmatrix.net
danny_bar

Post by danny_bar » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:38 pm

a small tip for those of us who don't like to see all these .wvf files around -

search for all these files and make'em hidden.. ofcourse set the system to not show hidden files.

i know it's kinda messy solution but it works :) .