Maxi-Patch 3.7.1: Audio Crossfader + Improved Vinyl Tracking

Topics regarding MsPinky's Maxi-Patch Application
dlpinkstah
Site Admin
Maxi-Patch 3.7.1: Audio Crossfader + Improved Vinyl Tracking

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:44 pm

Maxi-Patch 3.7.1 (Audio-only and Audio+Video) for OSX and Windoze is now ready for registered fan club members to download.

The main new feature is an Audio Crossfader in the middle of the main window which allows convenient software crossfading between the two audio file players. The audio crossfader can be slaved to the video crossfader. Other new features include separate folder/file choosers for each file player deck (audio and video), and improved vinyl tracking. The Open Sound Control section now features the ability to apply arithmetic scaling to the values that are sent out so that they will occupy a range appropriate for another program to receive. For example, Resolume expects all OSC values coming in to lie in the range [0... 1]. With the new OSC scaling features, you can make sure that all the OSC values sent out from Maxi-Patch will lie in that range.
koper

Post by koper » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:33 pm

:o
It's amazing!
I can't wait for download it, but... what happened to the download section? I try to access but mr. MozillaFirefox say me that this page was not found! :\
Have you changed the website access?
Kind regards!!
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:04 am

We will be periodically moving the downloads to make it just a bit harder for un-authorized downloads to occur. What this means is that you'll need to contact me with your original purchase order number in order to receive the new download link. This is a temporary measure while we figure out what the best method of copy protection will be.
adrock42

Post by adrock42 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:16 am

tanks mang!!!
systmcrsh

Post by systmcrsh » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:44 pm

so far, so great... the batch waveform calc is finally working for me with the update! <-- awesome since before i had to load up pinky vst and individually calc waveforms!

thanx! :D
adrock42

Post by adrock42 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:04 pm

Great work on this update
Is it possible to scale the OSC signal to the size of the music track. Basically we would need the OSC signal coming out to be a range between 0 and 1 where 0 is the start of the track and 1 is the end. SO take a song that 4 minutes.
0 = 0:00, .25 = 1, .5 = 2:00, .75 = 3:00, and 1 =4:00
this is how Resolume and VDMX would accept the signal and sync audio to video.

Also, my OSC monitor still says that every other signal is a zero, so for video we still need a sample and hold routine.

FYI, i haven't figured out power because I don't use it, but to set the signal back to the way it was in 3.7.0 these are my settings
velocity scale1, offset, 0, min0, max2 (not sure about this one),
position scale1, offset0, min0, max65547,

Something for the future for us laptop users with out a lot of screen realestate would be some sort of collapsible window system.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:48 am

adrock42 wrote:Is it possible to scale the OSC signal to the size of the music track. Basically we would need the OSC signal coming out to be a range between 0 and 1 where 0 is the start of the track and 1 is the end. SO take a song that 4 minutes.
0 = 0:00, .25 = 1, .5 = 2:00, .75 = 3:00, and 1 =4:00
this is how Resolume and VDMX would accept the signal and sync audio to video.
OK. That makes perfect sense. I just made a small change to Maxi-Patch_AO/AV for both Windoze and OSX that should allow this. Download the new build and go under the OSC tab. There is now a check box labeled "auto-scale position by file length". When you check that, the position values that are output on OSC should represent the fraction of the file that has been played, just as you described.
adrock42 wrote: Also, my OSC monitor still says that every other signal is a zero, so for video we still need a sample and hold routine.
I'm betting this is user error. You probably have the other deck spitting out the zero values. Make sure that either your other deck has OSC disabled completely, or that it sends it only to a different port.
But I will also check this on my end and report.
adrock42 wrote: FYI, i haven't figured out power because I don't use it, but to set the signal back to the way it was in 3.7.0 these are my settings
velocity scale1, offset, 0, min0, max2 (not sure about this one),
position scale1, offset0, min0, max65547,
I would suggest using the power values to control video brightness in the OSC receiving video app. That way, if you lift the needle, the video would fade to black. Put the needle back down and start scratching, the brightness comes back up. Just a thought....
adrock42 wrote: Something for the future for us laptop users with out a lot of screen realestate would be some sort of collapsible window system.
Of course I'd like to do that. But I'm building this stuff with Max/MSP and it currently has no way to do that. Hopefully Cycling-'74 will add this capability to future version of Max/MSP.
adrock42

Post by adrock42 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:32 pm

works great in VDMX. For some reason I get a big latency with Resolume (almost 10 seconds). Also resolume only takes one OSC input port at a time, so It will no doubt be slow on recieving osc messages from both decks

I really like how you can send position signal out without actually having vinyl hooked up at all. The same isn't true for velocity though.

The drops to zero are not happening now so, cool! I still haven't tried with my decks because I was at a practice last night and everything is broken down.
DJRC420

Maxi-Patch gratitude

Post by DJRC420 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:17 pm

Great update Pinksta. I've done my testing and am impressed with the a/v cross fader. I now have it tied to the cross fader on my m-Audio X-Session pro. Unfortunately I can't cue when it's completely pinned to the left or right side so I have to leave it centralized.

I'm also finding that my left deck is fast forwarding/rewinding when I leave the needle on the record but not spinning. Sometimes certain tracks don't properly retain their volume, if I start to play too loud. I also occasionally here loud, piercing pops and crackling (could this be a grounding issue)? I've made several folders with settings for 'home' and 'away' which seems to help with some of these issues. These are all very minor glitches that I'm able to work around and keep under control for the most part. I know I'm never going to be able to use Maxi-Patch to scratch like dj shadow but it works well enough.:D

A few questions:

Are CDJs a better overall investment due to the fact that CDs won't deteriorate nearly as fast as wax?

Do you have any kind of break through/system that will allow the audio AND video to be recorded into one (QT?) file?

Can you recommend any better ways to improve the over-all quality of the audio output?

BTW, we are using the IWS as a theme for our sound village this year (this update came just in time!!!)

Below is a link to the online flier:

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak- ... 203524.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak- ... 105936.jpg
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:11 am

Whoah! I love the graphics! Can I use those? :wink:

Let's get to the bottom of these audio problems. Please list here your complete system description because I'll bet it's something simple.

1) Make & Model of your computer, which Operating System & version.
2) Make & Model of your soundcard
3) Make & Model of your turntable(s), phono cartridge(s), etc.
4) Make & Model of your mixer
5) Finally -- how all components of your system are interconnected.

If you're having trouble with a track slipping relative to the vinyl it's probably a signal routing problem that you can fix.
DJRC420

Post by DJRC420 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:30 pm

1)

Product Name dv6948ca
Product Number FN552UA#ABC
Microprocessor 1.86 GHz Pentium Dual-Core Mobile Processor T2390
Microprocessor Cache 1 MB L2 Cache
Memory 3072 MB
Memory Max 4GB DDR2 (Up to 1 GB may not be available due to 32-bit operating system resource requirements)
Video Graphics Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
Video Memory Up to 358 MB
Hard Drive 250 GB (5400 rpm)
Multimedia Drive LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
Display 15.4" WXGA High-Definition BrightView Widescreen (1280 x 800)
Fax/Modem High speed 56K modem
Network Card Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN
Wireless Connectivity Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n
Sound Altec Lansing speakers
Keyboard 101-key compatible
Pointing Device Touch Pad with dedicated vertical and horizontal Scroll Up/Down pad
PC Card Slots

* One ExpressCard/54 slot (also supports ExpressCard/34)

External Ports

* 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards
* 3 Universal Serial Bus USB 2.0
* 1 VGA (15-pin)
* 1 RJ-11 (modem)
* 1 TV-Out (S-video)
* 1 RJ -45 (LAN)
* 2 headphone-out
* 1 microphone-in
* 1 notebook expansion port 3
* 1 IEEE 1394 Firewire (4-pin)
* 1 Consumer IR

Dimensions 14.05" (L) X 10.12" (W) X 1" (MIN H)/1.69" (MAX H)
Weight 6.14 lbs
Security

* Kensington MicroSaver lock slot
* Power-on password
* Accepts 3rd party security lock devices

Power

* 65 W AC Adapter
* 6-cell Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion)

2) M-Audio Connetiv sound card.

3) 2xTechnique 1200 SL turntables with Shure M44-7 needles.

4) A Numark DM2002X dj mixer

5) I don't quite know what to describe specifically. All three usbs are occupied, one splits into a 4 port hub where I plug in my mouse and X-Session pro. I use the other two usbs on the computer for my connectiv sound card and 16G flash drive (which is the drive I use for the Quicktime folder, which takes a load off of the C drive).

BTW Would this product work to record the audio AND video to one file on to a separate computer:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/ ... CatId=1428

I know Windoze isn't ideal for Maxi-Patch but I know I can run it much better with your advice.

The graphics are all yours - glad you approve!!! (I was going for a 'Twilight Zone' effect).
DJRC420

Post by DJRC420 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:37 pm

Oh Yeah OS = XP home sp3
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:26 am

Thanks for the thorough description of your system.

1) Under the "Vinyl/CD Control" tab, what are the "Error Metric" readings you get when playing the vinyl?

2) What are the "Signal Power Thresh(dB)" and "Cutoff Sharpness" settings?
You may need to adjust these.

3) What are the I/O Vector size and Signal Vector size settings? (Found in the audio settings pop-up window)

4) Please try it WITHOUT using a USB hub. No matter how well your hub may work for other devices, the Conectiv can't tolerate any dropped or delayed data frames (which will result in nasty audio artifacts) and so really should be used on a dedicated USB port, not on a hub.
DJRC420

Post by DJRC420 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:05 am

I spun a marathon set on the weekend :) I recorded it to a separate computer using a USB 2.0 A/V DVD maker. It seemed to retain a decent frame rate and audio quality, despite using a 50 ft s-video/rca cable. I'm just giving it a listen and then I'll import it into Sony Vegas and 'normalize/master' the audio. Any tips here?

Here's my settings:

1) Error Metric Readings
Left = -1 Right = -1

2) Signal Power threshold
Left = -53 Right = -53
Cutoff Sharpness
Left = 2.90 Right = 2.95

3) Signal Vector Size
Left = -8 Right = -8 (I adjust these based on the quality of the mp3/wav)
I/O Vector Size
Unsure (where do I look for this?)

4) I never actually plugged the connectiv into the 4 port hub (just the x session pro and the mouse, leaving 2 ports vacant). I didn't experience the nasty audio artifacting on the weekend, so that seems to be solved (for now). I am finding that when I do a big filter sweep I loose all the bass on my left channel. I am certain this happening because my mixer and/or turntable is old and starting to short.

BTW, I was at a record store in Toronto called Remix A/V (formerly Metropolis Records). I mentioned to the gentlemen my experience with Maxi-Patch and Ms Pinky and he knew immediately what I was talking about. He wants to be a Ms Pinky dealer. You should call him, his name is Aly (416) 578-9031.
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:08 pm

Cool news and new crew working... hehe... it seems like "ms. Pinky language" is getting the people busy...

;)

Do you want to know which is the next BIG thing?

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms