Midi in Ableton Live 7

Topics regarding MsPinky's Maxi-Patch Application
honeo
Midi in Ableton Live 7

Post by honeo » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:34 pm

How can i use the midifunctions of AO in Ableton Live? How can i get Ableton to notice the midisignal?
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:02 pm

Windows or Mac?

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:09 pm

Please read sections 18 and 19 in the "Quick_Start.pdf" file that comes with the Maxi-Patch download. The first thing you need to do is select which MIDI output device the MIDI messages will be sent out on. This is done by double-clicking the "midiout" button at the bottom of each MIDI output tab in Maxi-Patch. Then use a MIDI monitoring utility like MIDI Monitor (OSX) or MIDI-OX (Windoze) to check the values of the MIDI messages being sent out by Maxi-Patch to make sure they're in the desired range. Finally, open up Ableton and go to the MIDI/Sync tab in the preferences. Refer to Ableton user guide for further instructions.... it should be very easy.
honeo

Post by honeo » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:52 am

THX,
just figured it out yesterday, as i tested the itm-pad for the ipodtouch. now i have a wireless xy-pad-controller!
honeo

Post by honeo » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:34 pm

for what do you use the midifunktions? only for tempo-sync?
is their a possibility to use it for other app like filterautomation, and if, how?
i tried to use the pitch for other midi-funktions but did'nt get any usefull results. i think it would be real great if there was a funktion that just sends 127 diffrent midisignal so you could move or scratch like using an knob, doesn't make big sense but i think it looks great for a live-set if you're "scrathing" a filter. i think there are better soulutions.... it's up to you!!!! :D
i think i need max/msp :)
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:29 pm

Midi cc 7bits is for do these things.

Pitchbend is more useful for "emulate" hardware (like hercules) and for bend synths.

OSC is useful for controlling another aplications like vdmx or resolume.

HID (I hope next development) will be useful for emulate new hardwares (like vestax vci300)

Check these options in maxipatch and try a bit.

Mudo means mute person.

mr.

Post by mr. » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:21 am

This is a big question...
Is it better to use MaxiPatch AO with Ableton Live and just use Ableton to work with and record from MP.

Or to use the Pinky VST within Ableton?

what's better???

My two cents is the Maxi Patch is a more solid proggie and works better for me then the VST's.
--- -- -
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:04 am

A good question to ask. I don't have an exact answer. They both have advantages and disadvantages.

But one thing is certain -- Max-4-Live + Ms Pinky is going to offer a whole new range of possibilities beyond what you can currently do with either Maxi-Patch or the Pinky VST in conjunction with Ableton..

http://www.ableton.com/extend
honeo

Post by honeo » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:08 pm

ti think the vst is more clearly represented then Maxi-Patch but u can't use the vst for sending midi!
this will all change with Max-for-Live!!! ??? i think :D
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:12 pm

Midi will be unnecessary with maxforlive which is the BEST new ever.

In addition if you need midi for something you could patch yourself into maxforlive too.

Freedom to choice. God bless cycling74 and ms Pinky!

;)

Mudo means mute person.

mr.

Post by mr. » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:32 am

Thanks for the responses.... and DLP I would have to say my experiences with use point towards AO-MP working really well next to Ableton.
The VST's were cool if your using turntables a "little bit" to spice up over a mix your mainly doing in Live. Because it's so easy to put it open within it's own channel and record some scratches or overdub stuff.

The business is as Honeo said... the Midi Out with MP.

Now, my turntables are the main shiznit and Live complements to them by syncing its tempo and beats.

!!!

Thank you Pinkster for being on the leading edge of the curve even if sometimes it's the bleeding edge.
--- -- -
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:45 pm

Midi/hid/osc will be useful from maxipatch or pinkyvst to wathever DAW or tarjet.

With maxforlive you could use midi/hid/osc but you could use the link directly the vinyl vector with the ableton live tarjet command.

These two facts aren't exclusive. They are compatible and they are in the DLP mail box maybe since 5 months ago.

I hope Scott is doing the work properly guys. Be patient.

(and continue posting ideas)

Mudo means mute person.

dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:08 pm

All the basic Ms Pinky functionality (vinyl-controlled audio file playback/scratching) is already working with the latest beta version of M4L. I have re-coded in C++ the waveform displays, circular turntable icon display, and the H:M:S:F time display so that it runs more efficiently in the new software environment. So as far as M4L support is concerned, my job is basically done. It will be up to the users of M4L to invent all the really cool new devices. That's the whole point of M4L. It gives the user a palette of tools (one of which is Ms Pinky vinyl control) and they must create their own new devices using these new tools.
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:51 pm

Scott is Looper instrument mfl editable?

It could be great link "in fly" sample buffer with vinyl control.

Is midi time clock editable too?

It could be great link master tempo with vinyl speed.

Is clip scrubbing editable?

It could be useful clip scratching.

Everybody catch these ideas and start develop.

;)

Mudo means mute person.

honeo

Post by honeo » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:16 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

i can't hardly wait!
the :shock: great vinyl-fm-synth is commin'