Midi in Ableton Live 7

Topics regarding MsPinky's Maxi-Patch Application
Shufflebug

Post by Shufflebug » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:01 am

hey guys, all that sounds so great.

can't wait for m4l !
mr.

Post by mr. » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:25 pm

So, I got some GEN4 vinyl and am happy with the latency and sound of it compared to GEN3!

I am currently researching how to use OSC between two computers on a network. One using ms.pinky the other using Ableton.... I don't think Ableton understands OSC.. so maybe I need a go between interface to take the osc midi control commands and put them into a language that LIVE understands...

I use all this stuff while DJing and am currently making a video for everyone to share what/how I do this stuff. Stay tuned!
--- -- -
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:08 am

Make Live talk OSC is possible but it could be more simple when maxforlive arrives. Meanwhile I recomend you focus on learn some maxforlive use...

http://www.max4live.info/user/18/edit

And get your idea clear to port into it.

Also if you want to do it standalone, then look at maxmsp or pd.

;)

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
mr.

Post by mr. » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:16 pm

Hey,

I figured out what I was trying to do... and it all relies on a string of programs...

Maxi Patch using OSC cc out commands (me) -> network (router) -> host computer running OSCULATOR (which accepts OSC UDP ports and turns it into MIDI out/in/sync for the host computer which is also running Ableton Live.

The fantastic part of this is two computers are supporting each other so that if something crashes it doesn't take down the whole show
this is something that happened to me while djing a huge party out in Long Beach and Ms.Pinky crashed on me (after 4 hours of use) .. luckily my buddy had a CD-J right next to me.

MUDO,
I was looking for a program such as OSCULATOR to help communicate between Ms.Pinky OSC cc and Ableton Live Midi cc
Thank you for your input though
--- -- -
mr.

Post by mr. » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:08 pm

....bump....

and also TouchOSC on my iPhone can communicate with OSCULATOR and control ms.pinky + ableton....

droooooool
--- -- -
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:09 pm

Yes Osculator is a great APPz ( I know his developer and he is a cool person!)

could you make a little scheme or draw (with excel you could do it fastly) about your set up?

It is to get inspiration for newbies.

Also if you want to fit flash in your set (for GUI) you have OSCar and flOSC

;)
Thanks

Mudo means mute person.

Mudo

Post by Mudo » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:26 pm

It is possible to get vids about the integration of Ms. Pinky?

Serato supporters are very unfaith people...

xDD

Mudo means mute person.

mr.

Post by mr. » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:12 am

i have stuff to show but the "coup de grace" video is still in the making

my problem is i get too many ideas.. indeed write them down, but then when i go to look at them again i just have an expanded idea.
ad infinitum
very hard to finish production!
--- -- -
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:39 am

Clip scratching will be enough... (audio in fly buffer from main out will be geat)

;)

Mudo means mute person.

mr.

Post by mr. » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:03 am

i will get something up for viewing
--- -- -
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:35 pm

COOL! (and thanks!)

:)

Mudo means mute person.

mastahlee

Post by mastahlee » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:32 am

dlpinkstah, this is great news. Ever since I heard about Max4Live I was hoping that it would finally allow tight integration between Ms. Pinky and Live. I can think of so many possibilities with this it blows my mind.

I understand the initial release will probably focus on replicating the basic functionality of the AO MP, but I have a few questions about the potential:

1) Is it possible to code the functionality of scratching Live Session View audio clips?

2) Can you use the raw turntable speed vector as a variable to control, well, anything that's mappable?

I was already excited about Max4Live, now I just can't wait. When is this business going to BE RELEASED?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:25 am

mastahlee wrote: 1) Is it possible to code the functionality of scratching Live Session View audio clips?
Yes. The current M4L device that I've come up with allows scratching of .MP3, .AIFF, and .WAV audio files (including any clip file in a session). The limitation right now is that you have to open the clip files by drag-n-drop from the Ableton file browser. I'm hopping we can convince Ableton/Cycling-'74 code gurus to also allow the user to open clips by direct drag-n-drop of a clip from the Session matrix view.

The last file you opened is currently what gets saved with the device's settings when you save the Live set.
mastahlee wrote: 2) Can you use the raw turntable speed vector as a variable to control, well, anything that's mappable?
As far as I know, the answer is yes. But it will be up to you to figure out what the control mapping should be for any arbitrary parameter in Live you wish to control.
mastahlee

Post by mastahlee » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:50 am

dlpinkstah wrote: Yes. The current M4L device that I've come up with allows scratching of .MP3, .AIFF, and .WAV audio files (including any clip file in a session). The limitation right now is that you have to open the clip files by drag-n-drop from the Ableton file browser. I'm hopping we can convince Ableton/Cycling-'74 code gurus to also allow the user to open clips by direct drag-n-drop of a clip from the Session matrix view.
Hmm, drag-n-drop is the bane of any scriptable sample loading. I whipped up a cludgy workaround with Pinky VST that I documented here, but I'm hoping to get a better solution with M4L. Any chance of including the ability to load a sample by keyboard shortcut or something (i.e. ctrl+alt+L)? That would make it massively easier.
dlpinkstah wrote: As far as I know, the answer is yes. But it will be up to you to figure out what the control mapping should be for any arbitrary parameter in Live you wish to control.
Nice, just give me the capability and I'll figure out some good control mappings :wink: .

Now that the M4L public betas are out, any chance we can get access to a Pinky M4L patch beta? I'd be more than happy to try my hand hacking some of this functionality myself through Max.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:49 am

I'm sure there will be ways to load samples by keyboard shortcuts, however the first iteration may have to involve manually dragging the sample clips from the Ableton file browser to a "palette" inside the Ms Pinky M4L device which will store a bunch of clip file names and then allow a keyboard shortcut (or MIDI) to load one of the clips from the palette. Something like that should be possible in short order with a bit of patching work. However I have not yet implemented that in my sample M4L device patch. As it is now it loads one clip file at a time from the Ableton file browser, but does allow full-on turntable scratching of that clip file.

The sample M4L device patch that I've come up with is now available in our downloads section (for registered Ms Pinky users only) and is included with the "Maxi-Patch" patches and externals downloadable archive.