pinky plug - scratch up your host (i.e. sequencer)

Topics regarding other applications that use the MsPinky Vinyl Control Interface
klangfreund
pinky plug - scratch up your host (i.e. sequencer)

Post by klangfreund » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:59 pm

Hi,

pinky plug finally made it to the Windows platform!

I tested it with Plogue Bidule 0.91, Abletons Live 5, Logic 5.5 and Cubase SX 2.

successfully :D

only one issue yet: When you switch from the browser-view to another view, some graphical artefacts occure and you have to press the desired view button again for a proper view.

(this doesn't happen in the OSX version. I'll talk with Cycling '74 about this issue)

but now... enjoy:

http://www.klangfreund.com/other_stuff/ ... _plug.html
klangfreund

updated!

Post by klangfreund » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:20 pm

version 0.4 for OS X and Windows out now!

get your free copy now :D

release notes

----------------

- waveform creation: shift & doubleclick on the small or big

waveform-display will calculate it.

- support for CDJ tracking source (gen5).

- 3 options for the scrolling behaviour of the big waveform-display:

"no auto", "page by page" and "centered" (just click on that caption

to switch to another mode).

- bugfix (OS X only): when a file from a external drive was loaded

via drag n drop, the filebrowser sometimes pointed to a wrong

location.

- bugfix: the time displays jittered quite heavily in Plogue Bidule

for OS X (www.plogue.com, a great host for PinkyPlug btw). Now the

time displays are drawn via OpenGL. No jitter nomore.

known issues

------------

- OS X: if the filepath of a file exeeds a certain length it will be

truncated by the drag-n-drop object. Sadly, the filebrowser can't

display such files correctly (the rest of PinkyPlug will still work

as expected).

- Windows: switching between the browse-view and another one (play

or config) will cause some visual artefacts. Just click on the

chosen view-button a second time and it will look fine again.

ENJOY

klangfreund
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:13 pm

bpm count?

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
klangfreund

Post by klangfreund » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:42 am

I use BPM Inspector for iTunes. OS X only. It's for manual tapping and it writes the bpm information to the id3 tag. In iTunes you can enable the bpm column and sort your playlists by bpm if you'd like. (drag and drop from iTunes to pinky plug works quite nice btw.)

I won't add auto-bpm recognition to pinky plug. Needs too much time to develop/research. It's also an additional task for your CPU (I'm quite sure it needs a lot of computational power). But if you know someone that is experienced with such algorithms... the source files are available. If I were experienced enough to implement it right now, I would do it as a standalone application that could batch-analyze whole folders (over night) and write the bpm into the id3 tags. Maybe such a thing already exists?!
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:55 pm

win xp user sorry...

I'm looking for some vst to bpm detection... In the next days I will try them...

I post a reply then...

Thanks men,

Mudo

Mudo means mute person.

klangfreund

Post by klangfreund » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:50 pm

I think I read about a plugin that could do exactly that at http://www.kvraudio.com. Not quite sure though. You may search their database.

this is maybe also something for you.
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:27 pm

thanks my friend...

Mudo means mute person.

mustgroove

Post by mustgroove » Thu May 18, 2006 8:34 am

Looks like an interesting plugin :) What are the differences/advantages over Mspinky's Pinky Pluggo?
klangfreund

Post by klangfreund » Fri May 19, 2006 3:27 pm

The reason why I started developing Pinky Plug is simple: at that time Pinky Pluggo wasn't around and I wanted such a thing.

I havn't tried the latest version of Pinky Pluggo, so I can't really compare. These 2 plugins are quite similar.

Pinky Pluggo:

- the Pinky Pitch feature is enabled

- look and feel like Maxi Patch

- I think it saves all your settings into a file

Pinky Plug:

- closer to the VST guidlines, i.e. no pop-up windows. (Pinky Pluggo crashed my Ableton Live 4 because of that)

- includes a filebrowser (not that useful under OSX because there is a stupid issue with file-names that exeeds a certain length. Neither dlpinkstah nor I can solve that. We have to wait until Cycling74 fixes this annoying issue)

- settings will be stored inside your sequencer file.

- if you are a developer and wanna understand the coding/patching you may prefere the Pinky Plug source since it's more "readable"

there's maybe also a difference in the amount of plugin-parameters that are available for your host sequencer for automation. In Pinky Plug every user adjustable thing execpt the actual play position (this should be controlled with vinyl..) can be accessed and modified by your sequencer.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Pinky Pluggo has no pop-up windows

Post by dlpinkstah » Fri May 19, 2006 7:17 pm

As far as I know, Pinky Pluggo has no popup windows. I'm using Live 4 as well and it certainly doesn't crash when I'm using the Pinky Pluggo. Are we talking about the same thing? :wink:
klangfreund

Post by klangfreund » Fri May 19, 2006 7:52 pm

To be honest, it wasn't Pinky Pluggo that crashed Live 4 but an early development version of Pinky Plug that was based on Maxi Patch. The dropdown menus (the one for options, the one for vinyl_generation and the one for vinyl_mode) caused those crashes. I replaced em with check boxes and radiobuttons and no crashes no more.

PluggoDevGuide35.pdf at the end of page 12
Another major restriction of the runtime plug-in environment is that since the VST 1.0 standard

only allows a single fixed-size window for the user interface, opening more than one window is

not allowed. ItÌs even dangerous to open a dialog box. The environment does support scrolling the patcher window to set positions, called views, that the user can select using either a pop-up

menu above the interface or via some control within the interface itself.

I don't wanna be offensive btw.

Both plugins are quite similar and my Pinky Plug is actually only another user interface (with just a little additional code) wrapped around the great code by dlpinkstah!
ruklaw

Post by ruklaw » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:14 am

I can't seem to get this to work. I'm on XP, using Live 6, with the latest pluggo runtime installed and have followed all the instructions for installing this, but whenever I start up live with pinkyplug in the vst folder it hangs. Is there another library that I need to install to get it working? I've been able to use pinky pluggo fairly succesfully and just wanted to see if this was any better? Can anyone help?
klangfreund

Post by klangfreund » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:00 pm

Hi ruklaw,
the most recent version of Pinky Plug is outdated (not working with pluggo 3.6.x and max 4.6.x).
Because I'm studying I didn't find the time to update Pinky Plug in the last couple of weeks.
But guess what? Today my semester break started and I soon will work on it.
ruklaw

Post by ruklaw » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:03 pm

Wow i didn't expect a reply this quickly :shock:
Thanks for getting back to me, I can't wait :D
There was some mention earlier in the thread of a BPM count- it'd be sweet if the plugin could display the BPM tag value of the mp3, it wouldn't have to detect it just read it out as a reminder- all of my mp3s are bpm tagged anyway using Rapid Evolution.
Bull

Post by Bull » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:34 am

Any chance you can include AAC file support? I think many here would love you for it :wink: