Conectiv & Torq

Topics regarding other applications that use the MsPinky Vinyl Control Interface
kalisto
Conectiv & Torq

Post by kalisto » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:31 pm

Well I just got my conectiv after sending the u46 back and I still get the signal tone but that is another thread, does anyone know when Torq will support generation 4 ms pinky vinyl? It goes up to 3 right now, would it be worthwhile to try and get my hands on some gen 3 vinyl? Is it even for sale still?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Generation 4 Vinyl is "Generation 3" in Torq

Post by dlpinkstah » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:07 pm

I believe that the numbering of the vinyl generation choices in Torq is off by 1. So that means that when you choose Ms Pinky Generation 3 in Torq, it's actually Ms Pinky Generation 4, etc. :wink:

Note: Ms Pinky's 3rd Generation Vinyl is completely sold out, and we won't be pressing any more. But that shouldn't cause you any problems now...
kalisto

Post by kalisto » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:50 pm

cool thanks
afreek1000

Post by afreek1000 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:45 pm

Little off topic, sorry. Does MsPinky support the Torq vinyl? (kinda the other way around) I really like the quality of the Torq vinyl.......Also if not, is generation 4 Pinky vinyl similar in characteristics to Torq vinyl?....as of now I own the gen. 3 and I'm wondering if it's worth it to uprade to gen. 4 if it's anything like torq I think I would.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Torq vinyl is almost identical to Ms Pinky Gen4

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:54 pm

The Torq vinyl is almost identical to the Ms Pinky Generation 4 vinyl. The only difference is that the digital position values encoded on the Torq vinyl are scrambled relative to the digital values on the Ms Pinky Generation 4 Vinyl. Both Torq and Generation 4 Ms P. represent a significant improvement over Generation 3. Not to denigrate Generation 3, but we were able to significantly improve several important characteristics of the Ms Pinky vinyl control system with the release of Generation 4 and Torq. First and foremost, the latency with the newer vinyl (Torq and Gen4) is noticeably lower than with all previous generations. Secondly, the encoding we used is more robust and less likely to exhibit the troubling "slippage" phenomenon. So all in all, I have to recommend upgrading to Gen4.

Currently, the only Ms Pinky application that supports Torq vinyl is the new Binky Toy UB 2.5. Maxi-Patch will probably be upgraded to include Torq support at some point, though not immediately. For all you Max/MSP heads, the Ms Pinky external object MPTCFS~ supports Torq vinyl as "Generation 6".
jkriss

Post by jkriss » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:56 pm

Does this mean that I could use Torq vinyl, use Torq for audio playback, and use MPTCFS~ to simultaneously tap into the control data in Max? (Since the Conectiv box is Core Audio compliant, I'm assuming I can get control audio into Max, even if Torq is running.)
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

MPTCFS~ can accept Torq vinyl as "Gen 6"

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:50 am

You are correct. The Torq vinyl is recognized by the MPTCFS~ external object as "Generation 6" vinyl.