More decks & more soundcards - the software?

Topics regarding other applications that use the MsPinky Vinyl Control Interface
kakanox
More decks & more soundcards - the software?

Post by kakanox » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:43 am

Hi,

I am thinking of buying Ms. Pinky in stead of using cd's to spin my beatport tracks & own productions.

The problem is: I prefer using three decks and therefore need to be able to run three MP3's at the same time!

Was just wondering what I should use to do this.

Apart from that, the system I want to run these tracks from is a computer that I built from three identical systems that I broke apart. Specs:

- Asus P4 mainboard
- Intel P4 2.53 GHz (Northwood)
- 3x512MB = 1536MB RAM (DDR333)
- 3x40GB + 1x160GB HD (IDE)
- 3x SoundBlaster AWE64 PCI soundcards
- 3x ReLoop RP-5000 turntables
- Both Fedora Core 6 and WinXP

Can someone advise me on what to do/buy? Or should I start building my own application? ;)
kakanox

Post by kakanox » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:46 am

oh by the way, my idea of building this system the way it is was using one soundcard for each turntable, both in and out. this should keep the latency nice & low?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:08 pm

The way I'd recommend doing a 3-deck setup with Ms Pinky is to run 3 instances of the Pinky Pluggo inside a VST host, like Ableton. But I believe that would require a soundcard with at least 6 inputs and 6 outputs. You might be able to gang your soundcards together using ASIO4ALL or something, but I can't guarantee you that would work. For ease of use and good sound quality, you should invest in something like a MOTU 828, or an Edirol FA-101. Either of those audio converters will have enough ins/outs to do what you're wanting..
kakanox

Post by kakanox » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:21 pm

yeah, and would also allow me to invest a heck of a load of money. The AWE sounds swell enough or the smaller parties I spin on and perfect for home use. Using these three really is my preferred way of working... I'm thinking of buying Ms. Pinky just for saving some money in the first place!
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:36 pm

If you do parties maybe could catch some money and buy a better soundcard... In the past I configured a SB card for ms. P and it was true difficult and latency is a determinant subject...

If you will be consider a professional buy a professional interface... such emu maybe?

Try to save money but not with the interface, its too important!

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
dj_placenta

Post by dj_placenta » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:33 am

I recently posted asking about multiple decks. I found if you drop the .xmf file for Maxi-Patch into an already running program you can get four decks running but switching the audio settings if you are only using 1 or 2 decks can only be done the first time you load the program. I am searching the forums for answers...