Check out the DJDecks app -- a MsPinky-enabled app for WinXP

Topics regarding other applications that use the MsPinky Vinyl Control Interface
danny_bar

Post by danny_bar » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:10 pm

Am I the only one that can't make this thing work right?

I get all kinda very low pitch when using the ms pinky vinyl and lot's of funky stuff when playing revers or stopping the vinyl (it runs like crazy backwards and forwards and doesn't really have absulot mode).

any1??
paulheu

Post by paulheu » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:10 pm

Use the latest beta which is always here

While I do have my FinalScratch vinyl with me I have not used it anymore since the last beta came out.. msPinky is doing fine sofar..
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
twistedpickles

Post by twistedpickles » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:28 pm

I just recently downloaded DjDecks and had a hard time trying to get Ms Pinky to synch and work correctly.

I was experiencing problems such as audio only playing backwards in REL mode and no control in ABS mode. I couldn't get any type of collaberation. Every now and then I would get speratic control but the the audio had an unusual tremelo effect. It was chopy and sounded horrible.

After 2 hours and at the point where I was ready to give up I noticed that in my haste I plugged in the preamps from my turntables incorrectly. I'm usually cautious on how I connect my equipment. This time I was just to excited to try this new app. I plugged in the cables with out paying any attention.

Once I re-plugged in the cables correctly right into right and left into left everything began working.

Thought I'd share my experience.

DjDecks is an awsome application!
c0rey

Post by c0rey » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:47 pm

DjDecks is an awsome application!

Yes it is! It blows Traktor out of the water for flexibility and for the most part it's very stable now. I have used it live many times, the most recent time using Ms. Pinky wax to control it. It's constantly being improved and the forums on the djDecks site are the most helpful forums I have ever been a part of. I can't recommend this program highly enough to those who DJ on their PC (or those who want to)

C
danny_bar

Post by danny_bar » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:37 pm

wow...

i really want to get it work!

maby somone that uses the ms. pinky vinyl could help me out and describe how exactly you get it to work. what do you do after you open the application, what do you change in the properties etc. ?

thanks!
paulheu

Post by paulheu » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:34 pm

You need the msPinky 'activator'.. An textfile with the name msPinky.dat and the word "msPinky" (without the quotes) in it. create this file in the djDecks folder.. You could also go here

make sure you get the latest beta and the spm skin which is real cool..
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
c0rey

Post by c0rey » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:36 am

paulheu wrote:make sure you get the latest beta and the spm skin which is real cool..

Thanks for the plug, paul. And about the activators: is that all that the .dat files are? Just a text file telling it what to call the various forms of vinyl control? I installed all of them recently, in case anyone wants to use my rig and is using some form of vinyl other than what I have with me... I had no idea I could create them myself.

C
Adion

Post by Adion » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:46 pm

It is only the MsPinky dat file that you can create yourself.

The others contain real data about the timecodes.
danny_bar

Post by danny_bar » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:53 pm

it works!!! :D

thanks guys!

i can't figure out what i did diffrent this time, but now it works so i guess it doesn't really matter..
paulheu

Post by paulheu » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:17 pm

Well after some time I can safely say msPinky support in djDecks is working very nicely now.. I still bring FS vinyl, but have not touched it since msP support was fixed.. So a big thanks to pinkstah for getting the fixed SDK out!

And for sure Adion for a great piece of work on djDecks!!!
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

What about some kind of bundle offer (DJDecks + MsP Vinyl)

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:21 pm

I'm really glad to hear it's working well for you guys.

So, Adion, what about some kind of bundle offer for djDecks + MsPinky vinyl? :lol:
paulheu

Post by paulheu » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:12 pm

I cannot speak for Adion but I suspect first order of business would be to get the current beta out as stable release which it is not quite ready for yet. The new tag database should improve overall usability, but it's new and so will need a bit of tweaking before it's stable I guess...

There's some real nice stuff in now like the ability to have the waveform horizontal or vertical.. I hope Adion gets around to a 'feature freeze' for oh say release 0.7 and then iron out the last bits.. Then you can offer him sumthin nice for you to include djDecks with each shipment of vinyl.. :twisted:
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

We need a high-quality, low-cost audio interface!!!

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:36 am

Looking to the future I think the next biggest obstacle to the success of independent DJ applications (like djDecks and MsPinky) which incorporate vinyl control is the present lack of high quality, low-cost audio interface with built-in phono preamps and very low latency response. Ideally the dream interface would be FireWire, and would feature of course at least 4 channels in, 4 channels out, and built-in phono preamps for direct turntable connection. And it would also present itself to any operating system as a generic audio device with no special restrictions or ties to any specific software (FS, SSL, etc.). And it would be cheap...

We already have this with the RME RPM, you say? Well, yes. This device is completely beautiful. I have one myself. But it's the cost. It's just way too high to be able to compete with something like SSL or FS2... you do the math. When you buy SSL or FS2 you get both the audio interface and the software. It's food for thought for those of us who love the freedom of independence from Korporate Kuntrol. We have to ask ourselves "what is the average user really going to gain by using the independent product over something Korporate?" The first answer could be cost. The independent products may actually cost less... but if in order to get really great performance from the independents you need to purchase this incredibly expensive audio converter, then what's the point????????? :cry: Believe me, I ask myself this question every day.

All I can ask is that all you supporters of independent DJ apps out there please mobilize and send lots of emails to companies that could produce an audio converter that could meet our needs in terms of number of inputs, phono preamps, low latency, low cost, etc. etc. There are certainly companies which could make such a product. Maybe M-Audio? Maybe Audiotrak? If these companies get enough feedback from users saying they would like a certain thing, they are much more likely to produce it.

That's all for now. Peace, out-

DLP
djone37

Post by djone37 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:31 am

I agree with DLP 100%. I own FS2, SSL and Ms pinky...and I used to have 2 FS1 units as well. We absolutly need a good cheap soundcard with pre-amps. DLP have you tried contacting M-Audio or RME about making one for the Pink?

Maybe there can be 2 models:

1) the Standard 2 X ins, 2 X outs 16bit usb1.1 or 2 - Perfect for standard 2 deck DJ's

2) the studio 4 X ins, 4 X outs 24bit Firewire400 -Perfect for 2-4 deck DJ's or other inputs can be for audio recording..etc.

1) Should be around $35-75US

2) Maybe $70-130US
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

M-Audio and Audiotrak both say yes.... but when???

Post by dlpinkstah » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:47 am

M-Audio and Audiotrak both say "yes".... but when??????????

Hopefully soon or this opportunity will evaporate, I'm afraid :cry:

Everyone will just end up being absorbed by Korporate Kuntrol (the Borg)... you know who I mean. The voice of the Borg is very powerful, especially now. I haven't dared to ask RME. They are so high-end. But I don't blame them. I love their work. They create perfection... but it costs too much for most. Oh well. Ms Pinky needs a Knight in Shining Armour.. coming to her <<Emotional Rescue>> .... :wink: