Check out the DJDecks app -- a MsPinky-enabled app for WinXP

Topics regarding other applications that use the MsPinky Vinyl Control Interface
paulheu

Post by paulheu » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:52 am

The RME unit is so expensive because it is basically a full HDSP unit with limited connectivity. For me this works out very well as I use bioth the RPM and the Digiface.. I also have both a laptop and desktop each with it's own HDSP interface. So for me it's just a matter of pluggin' in the box I need for the job I do.. (and the RPM is very nice for doing 4track analog recordings as well)

What would be nice to see is a 'lite version' of the RPM using a straight FireWire connection and only the needed I/O in hardware (2x stereo in with phono preamp, MIC in, MIDI I/O and two outs. You'd loose the interchangeability, but it would be a good unit for dedicated DJ setups..

If they would build such a box to their standards it would still be more expensive then the rest, but I guess quite a bit less so then with the current RPM unit..

Guess what.. I'll see about asking Mathias on the RME group..
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
c0rey

Post by c0rey » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:56 am

I don't think RME stuff is priced all that high to begin with, when you consider that several blind listening tests by top engineers in Sweden and Germany placed the RME interfaces higher than Apogee, MOTU and everything else they were tested against. And Paul is right, the reason they cost more is because of all the extra I/O. I mean, it's true that I paid close to a grand for my Multiface and cardbus, but I have done live hard disk recording on all 8 analog ins with almost no latency, and the digital I/O gives me tons of flexibility. To even compare this unit with a joke like the ScratchAmp is a sin. It's compact, portable, and has better sound than anything remotely close to its price range. I don't disagree that a more affordable solution for people with dedicated DJ setups is a good idea... but if you're going to be buying an expensive laptop and optimizing it to play music, why not spend the extra couple of hundred and have a system that records well and offers more flexibility in terms of what you can connect to it and do with it? ESPECIALLY if Ms. Pinky's pushing apps like Max/MSP... stopping just shy of a kick-ass system always seems silly to me. You'll only wish you'd spent the small difference later.

C
Mudo

Post by Mudo » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:23 pm

I have this set:

rme 96/8 pad

behringer ada8000

recoton preamps

vestax 06

vestax pdx2000 with ortofon scratch needles

winxp amd xp 1700 (1550mghz) more than 1gb ddr ram, asus a7v333, ...

works Dj Decks beta; vinyl control with Ms. P ones...

i

t's not a full heaven but a wonderfull one :D

Mudo means mute person.

Researching new interface paradigms
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

U46DJ with DJDecks and Ms Pinky?

Post by dlpinkstah » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:00 am

I just got through testing the U46DJ 4-in, 6-out converter with built-in phono preamps using Maxi-Patch_AO/AV 3.5.2 on WinXP Professional. The operation was flawless! I'm really impressed with this hardware. Can it be the answer to Ms Pinky's prayers?? With ASIO buffer size set to 128, the latency with Ms Pinky scratching was practically undetactable :lol: And unlike the Maya 44 USB, the construction of this unit is really solid... very attractive from almost any point of view.... even economical.

My only gripe with it is that they haven't come out with OSX drivers yet.

So has anyone tested the U46 DJ yet with Ms Pinky & DJDecks? That's my next objective...
Hotcakes

Post by Hotcakes » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:55 am

Any news on how the Dj Decks setup worked with the U46DJ ?

Also does anybody know of any European stockists of the U46DJ ?

Cheers
paulheu

Post by paulheu » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:56 pm

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Hotcakes

Post by Hotcakes » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:33 pm

Dude thats a really good price too cheers :D