mspinky on 3 turntables?

A Forum for topics relating to the soundcard/ audio converter that is used with MsPinky
sriracha
mspinky on 3 turntables?

Post by sriracha » Mon May 04, 2009 8:47 am

newb here

i learned to dj on vinyl and cds, and am now thinking it's time to incorporate a digital interface to make gigging easier. i play house and techno on two 1200s and 2 numark cdxs, and i use a lot of acapellas and beat tracks. wondering a couple things:

1. Is binky toy capable of controlling 3 or more tracks at once? If so, what do I need in a soundcard and in a computer? could I use multiple instances of pinky pluggo in ableton live (or any other DAW) to accomplish the desired effect?

2. How does mspinky's sound quality measure up to scratch live and traktor? does it sound weird/warbly when in pitch lock mode?

3. Software-native looping? Track overviews: build them beforehand or as they're loaded?

4. Why can't I sleep?

thanks in advance for any responses.
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Re: mspinky on 3 turntables?

Post by dlpinkstah » Mon May 04, 2009 3:02 pm

sriracha wrote: 1. Is binky toy capable of controlling 3 or more tracks at once? If so, what do I need in a soundcard and in a computer? could I use multiple instances of pinky pluggo in ableton live (or any other DAW) to accomplish the desired effect?
To use 3 or more tracks at once you'll need to use 3 or more instances of Pinky VST (the newer plugin) in a DAW. And your soundcard will need to have 6 or more (2 channels per deck) inputs and outputs.
sriracha wrote: 2. How does mspinky's sound quality measure up to scratch live and traktor? does it sound weird/warbly when in pitch lock mode?
Quite well, in my humble opinion. There are artifacts in the pitch-lock mode, but if you don't get too extreme I think it'll work for you, especially on acapella vocals and melodic stuff.
sriracha wrote: 3. Software-native looping? Track overviews: build them beforehand or as they're loaded?
You can play audio files in looped mode, but there is no support currently for creating and storing loops out of longer tracks.
sriracha wrote: 4. Why can't I sleep?
don't spend so much time in front of a computer :wink:
sriracha

Post by sriracha » Tue May 05, 2009 3:49 pm

dlpinkstah wrote:everything i wanted to know
thanks dude! so as far as 6x6 + soundcards go...motu 828? any others?
dlpinkstah
Site Admin

Post by dlpinkstah » Wed May 06, 2009 5:19 am

There are certainly others, but the MOTU 828 is my personal fav. I think the sound quality is great, and the drivers are rock solid.
bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Wed May 15, 2013 7:18 pm

i'll second the 828 mkiii i love mine.
unless you can afford to get an RME interface

only issue i have with the 828 is if I use my internal sound card to watch video or listen to soundcloud, while my 828 is active you can get short noise blasts out the 828.. to fix you just have to power on and off the 828.

freaked me out when i first got it lol.
but that is a common issue with the 828.